Any ideas on this worked piece of stone?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Attachments

• phpv4Ie6aPM.jpg
    phpv4Ie6aPM.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 335
  • phpr2DUV4PM_1.jpg
    phpr2DUV4PM_1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 331
Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wish i could help.it reminds me of some kind of floating bird,will it stand up with the holes up.maybe they displayed feathers in it.probally way off though...jamey oh the bird is called a loon saw one in bergoo w.virgina

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
jamey, it doesn't stand level, if you place it on a flat surface it rocks back to the heavier end.

ohio, I do not think it's fossilized bone, I can see why you asked that. My best guess would be some type of igneous, coarse grained stone, possibly basalt, rhyolite, porphry ?...I'm really not sure.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I can clearly see the trebecular pattern indicating bone. Fossilized body of a vertebra with the pedicles and looks like maybe the attachment for ribhead on one side. Therefore likely a thoracic vertebra. Holes could be normal blood vessel holes..... boom.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
couple of better pics of the drilled? holes.

Attachments

• php8aKhRdAM.jpg
    php8aKhRdAM.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 300
  • phpiIaCsIAM.jpg
    phpiIaCsIAM.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 289

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
blood vessel holes. Maybe cleaned out by the person you bought it from.
It's a vertebral body.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Tom, is it not possible that perhaps this ' fossilized bone ' was picked up by ancient man and worked on?

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, of course it could have been utilized. Maybe for adornment or charm, doesn't seen to have a "use".
We find fossilized bone artifacts here and there in FL, found on sites. Places where you can collect fossils in the rivers are loaded with suspicious looking tumbled and smoothed pieces. Ancients also collected fossilized bone just like we do as we've found them (mostly manatee rib bone) within arch deposits.
the only thing that looks like human work might be the "knob", but overall the piece looks tumbled from river.

Why not try asking the WVa Fossil Club?
http://www.prehistoricplanet.com/wvfc/

Have you put it under a scope? If modified by man and not too far gone you should be able to see grinding striations and the holes should show a beveled rim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread