Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The above Clovis was found about 20 yrs. ago by Neanderthal man Matt Rowe in Mayes County, Oklahoma. This fine piece is made of Keokuk chert and was papered by Rogers. This Clovis is a welcomed new addition to my collection. The next piece is the finest piece in my collection. This Folsom was found in Northwest Texas near the Blackwater Draw site basically just across the border in Texas. It is 1-7/16" and made of Translucent Edwards Plateau it was papered by Williams. This piece is an absolute Gem!!!!

Attachments

• 058[1].JPG
    058[1].JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,398
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 3,555
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,401
OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
StevefromMissouri said:
Here are mine.............NADA! Dang it!!!!

Steve, you do have something that is a gem that I don't have that gorgeous Scottsbluff point. That is a super fine piece!!!

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Get-the-point, the reason I say that is that I found that Clovis, but not in Arkansas. Here's the full story.

I found that Clovis over 20 years ago, in Oklahoma. I sold it for $35 to a very well known dealer in Arkansas. I had no idea what it was worth, and he convinced me that was more than fair. The dealer took me. Anyways, it was found in NE Oklahoma. About 6-8 months after I sold it to this "dealer", I saw it for sale on ebay by him. The auction stated that it was found BY HIM IN ARKANSAS. This kinda peeved me. I called him up and asked him what the deal was. He told me "I just put it in a drawer when you left. Eventually, I forgot where I got it from, so I just put by me in Arkansas", I was awe-struck. It was a complete lie, we watched him frame the clovis before we left. Who the hell would throw a Clovis in a drawer? He didn't either.

I always wondered where it went to. My wife can verify this story. Actually, many people can tell you about it, I've told it on many occasions. For the record, the material is Keokuk Chert.

My best Clovis (which has only been a few) I ever found was stolen from my home (along with my best artifacts) around 8-9 years or so ago? I'll recognize any of those artifacts if I ever see them again, but so far haven't.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Neanderthal said:
Get-the-point, the reason I say that is that I found that Clovis, but not in Arkansas. Here's the full story.

I found that Clovis over 20 years ago, in Oklahoma. I sold it for $35 to a very well known dealer in Arkansas. I had no idea what it was worth, and he convinced me that was more than fair. The dealer took me. Anyways, it was found in NE Oklahoma. About 6-8 months after I sold it to this "dealer", I saw it for sale on ebay by him. The auction stated that it was found BY HIM IN ARKANSAS. This kinda peeved me. I called him up and asked him what the deal was. He told me "I just put it in a drawer when you left. Eventually, I forgot where I got it from, so I just put by me in Arkansas", I was awe-struck. It was a complete lie, we watched him frame the clovis before we left. Who the hell would throw a Clovis in a drawer? He didn't either.

I always wondered where it went to. My wife can verify this story. Actually, many people can tell you about it, I've told it on many occasions. For the record, the material is Keokuk Chert.

My best Clovis (which has only been a few) I ever found was stolen from my home (along with my best artifacts) around 8-9 years or so ago? I'll recognize any of those artifacts if I ever see them again, but so far haven't.
hey matt,maybe you just had a typo,but ebay wasnt around twenty years ago???

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lmao........ Gregs-Rocks...........that was a good laugh.........

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Greg, I found the piece over 20 years ago, but sold it I guess around 10-12 years ago? It was right after the program Mplayer started, but right before we had an artifact room in there.

Get-the point - No, I'm not expecting to get the point back. It is a wonderful piece, and I do miss it. BUT, this piece wasn't stolen from me, it was sold. Although the person was dishonest, it was my option as to whether to sell it or not. We made a deal and they purchased the point. It's yours and I really hope that you enjoy it. I am telling you this so that you will have the full history of the artifact. It was found in Mayes County, Oklahoma, by me. You seem to have an appreciation for the piece, and you wouldn't believe how wonderful it makes me feel that it wound up in your hands! I thank you so much for the offer to sell it back and it's fantastic seeing it again. I believe in karma, and fate and think that it's right where it's supposed to be. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

This isn't the first time something like this has happened.

I have been very fortunate throughout my life in finding a great quantity of artifacts. I used to hunt a whole lot more than I can anymore though, I used to go every day...and be VERY productive at doing it. I also sold and gave away a great number of personal finds, thousands. I do see some turn up every now and then. Last year, I saw one at an antique mall in Arkansas. I recognized a Standlee right away and asked the lady where it was from, she said Ark. I told her no, Oklahoma (similar to this situation). She said Arkansas, by Danny Bowen. I laughed, I had sold it to Danny prior to that.

When going through frames of artifacts last year at work I noticed a familiar very thin & well-made Standlee made of Reed Springs chert. I recognized it instantly and got a warm feeling. It was accessioned into the computer as coming from Greg Perino's personal collection. I went and checked Perino's personal notes / documention on his collection and there it was.....Hudson Lake, Mayes County, Oklahoma. I used to send Greg stuff all of the time that was well-made, or stuff that was just unusual - he got a kick out of them. The Standlee I knew he would like to see because it was such a great example, so I sent it to him with other goodies to play with. He would then look at the items and we'd comment back and forth on them. He'd send them back whenever he'd get the time, etc. This particular Standlee he liked quite a bit, so I had told him to keep it as a present. And now there it was, back again. Isn't it amazing how things come back around?

P

pickaway

10-12 years ago a clovis was only worth $35 bucks? :icon_scratch:
Nice artifacts everyone...

OP
OP
Get-the-point

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty sonofbeanman. Ok everyone keep them coming i know there are some beauties out there. Show 'em OFF!!!!!!!!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is one i found just awhile back.still remember the outline of it as i was walking towards it.i knew it was going to be a good one.people tell me it is a hazel clovis jamey

Attachments

• IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,075

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
thirty7 said:
I dont know why anyone would part with a personal find clovis, especially for 35 bucks.
I was mislead to believe at the time that was a fair offer for the piece. I had other Clovis points I had found and I did sell alot of points. Like I said, I have been more than fortunate in my life in finding artifacts. I have given away more than I've sold, which is in the thousands.

In my opinion, anyone who says they will never, ever, part with any of their personal finds has not found many, or has their priorities wrong. It took me many years to learn that the hard way. Regardless of what many may think....there are more important things in life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread