Relic/Lithic Hunting near kankakee river state park and Starved Rock Illinois

Lithic Hunter

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to relic hunting so I need some help. Not to long ago I found a beautiful 2" arrowhead in a creekbed near my home in Chicago and now I got the hunting itch real bad! I heard of great finds along the Kankakee river in the state park and near Starved rock and was wondering if anyone had any advice or locations to hunt.

Since I am new I have not had the chance to explore this forum so please excuse me if I am asking stupid questions. Also how would I go about finding Indian village sites, middens and chipping stations? What clues do I need to look for.

Thank you all very much for your advice and I look forward to the fun to come on this forum.

Have a good day,

Lithic Hunter

Upvote 0

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005
Creekbeds are a good place to hunt but not on state ground. Here is the regulation I copied from the Illinois department of natural resources webpage, I bolded the section on artifact collecting:

Section 110.70 Destruction of Property - Flora - Fauna - Man-Made and Inanimate Natural Objects - Collection of Artifacts

It shall be unlawful:

a) For any person to injure or remove any animal, plant or part thereof, or attempt to disturb any agricultural crop, except:

1) as otherwise provided by permit, law or regulation;

2) as provided by Department-sponsored program or activity under the direct supervision of an authorized employee; and

3) in the collection of edible fungi, nuts and berries on Department owned, leased or managed lands where such collection would not be incompatible with resource management activities or recreational programs at the site, nor be in conflict with the Natural Areas Preservation Act, and where such collection is for personal use only and not for re-sale.

A) Collection hours for edible fungi, nuts and berries shall be allowed during the site's regular hours of operation only, except collection is not permitted at any site during the open hours of established hunting seasons at that site.

B) Collection contests shall not be allowed on any State site.

b) For any person to remove, take, alter, construct, mutilate, deface or destroy any natural or man-made property, equipment, improvement, sign, trail or building, except as otherwise provided by permit, law, regulation, or by Department program activity under the direct supervision of an authorized employee.

c) For any person to collect or take artifacts and/or mutilate, destroy, deface or excavate any archaeological site except as provided by permit according to 17 Ill. Adm. Code 370.

d) For any person to withdraw or pump water from any Department controlled lake, canal, wetland, river or stream except as authorized by Department permit. The decision to grant or deny a permit will be based upon a balancing between the need of the permittee and the protected water level or flow.

(Source: Amended at 29 Ill. Reg. 2268, effective January 28, 2005)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Relic/Lithic Hunting near kankakee river state park and Starved Rock Illinoi

ADVISE TO YOU IN STARVED ROCK DONT GET CAUGHT ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO TAKE NE THING FROM THE STATE PARK/S NATURAL(INDIAN ARTIFACTS,ETC) OR OTHER WISE(METAL DETECTING)HIT ME BACK WITH A PM ILL HELP YOU OUT WERE I CAN...
SORRY DONT MEAN TO YELL.....

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Hey Lithic,
I would stick to that creek bed near your house for awhile if I was you. It's not very often you only find one arrowhead. It may take time, but keep looking and you will find more. Don't tell anyone about your creek or you may never find another point there. Post a pic. of the one you found and I'll help you identify it and how old it is. HH
badandy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread