102.8 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Yadkin(VA Type) related to me. Sometimes they were thinned at the base, for easier hafting., sometimes mistook for fluting(by new collectors). Definetly looks Woodland to me. Looks like the ears have broken off, also with much use, prolly as a blade/knife the one side is worn....But, I'm no expert.
A better pic of the fluting? would be an advanatge.

Molly. JMHO.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
That material is hard to read. How thick is the piece? I also would like to see a more defined pic of the fluted area. I'm not ruling out paleo yet especially because the area you found it in, but I tend to agree with Molly on woodland because of the random flaking. Slate is tough to read because it's brittle and doesn't show flaking patterns well. It could also imo be related to the guilford culture. Nice find though regardless of type.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
37, Guilford Yuma was my first though but, the base is far to wide. Also the time period, I find it impossible to compare two points types with such a time gap. Early Arch to Woodland. I agree with you on the flaking. I hope we can get someone with more experience to help us out here.

Molly.

OP
OP
jpitt1970

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Hey guys, I wish I could get a better pic up, but my camera sucks. This piece was found in an area where we found a bunch of Paleo & Early Archaic stuff.....lots & lots of Kirks

My Father has found a few pieces & one complete Clovis from that same site..but his were made of white quartz, the most common material here. Most of the early stuff around there is made of this really crappy looking slate or shale stuff

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
i dont find quartzite,rhyolite,shale or slate points in ohio,so i have no business commenting on flaking techniques of those materials,but i dont see any flaking on this piece,where is there random flaking at on this piece?and molly why do you think its impossible to compare types with a large time gap?random flaking is found on paleo and woodland pieces.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JP, I showed your pic to a friend of mine, who as extensive knowledge on NC/Va Types. Without my input, his first thought was a Guilford. I don't rule out that it maybe a woodland piece. Without better pics, I can't tell.
Here is a Guilford, note the ...... Well I wouldn't call it flaking, its not, here we call it bopping. ::)

I wish you could get better pics, so we can help clear this up..

I can tell you one thing though, its definetly not a Clovis, sorry.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• IMG_4123.JPG
    IMG_4123.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 218

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions