Need help identifying bone piece, Also some nice bone whistles▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Need help identifying bone piece, Also some nice bone whistles▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Any comments on the piece next to the whistle??
    I found it about seven years ago and cannot figure out what it is

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc0053aab6.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	288485  
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

Re: Need help identifying bone piece, Also nice bone whistle

the above piece is perfectly round except for the right end is slightly flattened for about one inch
    my friends call it the "harpoon"
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

archaeon

it is a bone pin, they come in all sizes. some(usually small ones) were part of a composite harpoon/gig...some were weaving tools...nice one! and that whistle is KILLER

here are two more whistles I found about ten years ago

Name:	sc005c64d0.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	288490  

Re: Need help identifying bone piece, Also some nice bone whistles▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Here is the first bone whistle I found in 1987
    along for the ride is a little bone awl found the same day

Name:	sc005d9e15.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	288494  

GL
    us
    Mar 2008
    South Central, NC
    32 times

Wherever these come from has got to be awesome.Why are you inside and not walking the field?

us
    Feb 2009
    MN

Very cool finds.

us
    Sep 2008
    North Florida
    1 times

That's some awesome bone artifacts! Thanks for sharing.

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8900 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Nice bone. Are they Turkey? Thanks for showing them.
    TnMountains
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

Hi TnMountains,
    These must be turkey
    The only other big birds that I can think of were Eagles and I cannot imagine the sacred Eagle being used for this, but it could be possible
    I have knowledge of these pieces but I do not pretend to be that educated so I am glad to find this great website and am hoping to get
    some information I can rely on.
    I dont think there were geese back then but I do not pretend to know
    I have several long bone hollow beads that look liike the same material as the whistle were made of
    I will try to post a few images of these if you wish
    would it be of help?
    thanks

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8900 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by larson1951
    Hi TnMountains,
    These must be turkey
    The only other big birds that I can think of were Eagles and I cannot imagine the sacred Eagle being used for this, but it could be possible
    I have knowledge of these pieces but I do not pretend to be that educated so I am glad to find this great website and am hoping to get
    some information I can rely on.
    I dont think there were geese back then but I do not pretend to know
    I have several long bone hollow beads that look liike the same material as the whistle were made of
    I will try to post a few images of these if you wish
    would it be of help?
    thanks
    Back then the geese migrated now they stay. I would think turkey and woodland era. They seemed to have time then to be creative then. I think I read you found them on your farm? More than likely they also farmed that same patch of ground you do. Have you ever sunk any test holes to see how deep you find artifacts? Might have several eras of occupation, Some places towards evenings you can look across a dry plowed field and see darker areas and this can be caused from firepits being scattered by the plow.It can be a large area and they will produce more material. Here we have a lot of ancient trash pits full of broken pottery bones and flint. If they occupied the area for any length of time and were farming they will have trash pits.
    They kept there living areas pretty clear. Pottery is a sign of farming and possible long habitation. So many sites are seasonal or hunting and gathering sites.
    This forum is great and I have learned a lot from the people on here. Some people study it more than others. I am more the hunter and try to learn along the way.
    Have enjoyed your post and seeing your finds.
    TnMountains
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    7570 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Cool Larson, I can't believe you found those. Eagle bones were and are used for whistles. Whistles were used in Sun Dance ceremonies and also used in battle. Custer probably heard them, but he's indisposed and can't tell us for sure! Very cool finds, in that rodents usually eat up anything bone for the calcium.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links