Best Find Of My Life - Effigy Pipe!! New Pictures!!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out this morning after I got off work and hit one of my Ft Ancient sites. I got there really early and it wasn't even light yet so I tried hunting with a flashlight until it got daylight. I found the Bone Pendant and the small Bone Bead with the flashlight and the rest after it became light enough to see. I wish I would have had my camera with me, but since it was a spur of the moment hunt and I left from work I didn't have it. The Pipe would have made a killer in situ picture. When I first saw it I thought it was a large Deer Antler Arrowpoint and never even thought about it being a Pipe. When I flipped it over and saw the hole for the stem I almost fainted. My heart started pounding and I started sweating and I let out a really loud scream. Definitely the best piece I have ever found in my 44 years of hunting for artifacts.

The first picture is everything I found in the hour and a half I was there and the rest are the Pipe. It has a mouth engraved into the tip at the bottom but no other markings. I was hoping it would have eye engraved in it as well, but trust me I'm not complaining. This thing is in pristine condition. It is made of sandstone and has no damage whatsoever.

Sorry these pictures aren't real clear. I took them in a hurry and will try to get better ones later. My battery died on the camera.

Attachments

• Pipe05.jpg
    Pipe05.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3,613
  • Pipe07.jpg
    Pipe07.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,427
  • Pipe09.jpg
    Pipe09.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,392
  • Pipe12.jpg
    Pipe12.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,414
  • Pipe11.jpg
    Pipe11.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,437
  • Pipe10.jpg
    Pipe10.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,457
  • Pipe08.jpg
    Pipe08.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,574
  • Pipe06.jpg
    Pipe06.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 3,519
Upvote 0

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
I wonder if you smoked out of it if you would get visions of the ancient world??????? cool thought maybe!!! oh well,,,, great find, what is it an effigy of ???? thanks for the show,,,,,

arthur

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a Banner find. As Eddie Cochran would have said, that's fine lookin, man, that's somethin else!

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really cool pipe! Thanks for the show, I've been enjoying seeing your Fort Ancient collection.

Thanks for the Fort Ancient description too. Have you ever found one of those "weeping eye" gorgets. A friend on mine found one in North Dakota. It's really small, about the size of a silver dollar and made of shell--one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
runtee said:
That's a really cool pipe! Thanks for the show, I've been enjoying seeing your Fort Ancient collection.

Thanks for the Fort Ancient description too. Have you ever found one of those "weeping eye" gorgets. A friend on mine found one in North Dakota. It's really small, about the size of a silver dollar and made of shell--one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

No, I haven't found one yet. It's on my list of things I want though and since I've been so lucky lately the list is actually getting smaller.

The things I haven't found and still want to are a Clovis, a Bannerstone, a Gorget, a Weeping Eye Gorget, and a Dovetail. I have crossed of Axe, Fish Hook, Pipe, and Fracture Base Dove in the past year.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some other pieces from the same site.

Attachments

• Beads019.jpg
    Beads019.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,968
  • Beads015.jpg
    Beads015.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,993
  • Beads013.jpg
    Beads013.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,017
  • Beads011.jpg
    Beads011.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 2,020
  • Beads009.jpg
    Beads009.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 2,066
  • Beads007.jpg
    Beads007.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 2,051
  • Beads004.jpg
    Beads004.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 2,118
  • Beads002.jpg
    Beads002.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 2,119
  • Beads021.jpg
    Beads021.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 2,139

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
It's really nice to look at the banner and see two indian artifacts at once. Get out there and find another banner item. :thumbsup:

st1ss

Apr 14, 2009
Detector(s) used
2 Tesoros
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome pipe! looks like it has a cat or fox face near the top in the pic that's posted. Try wetting it with a spray bottle to see if something shows up. Great find.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On pic jpg 007 beads i think it was. The item in the middle that is groved and broke. Is that a polisher for beads or awls? That is a rare item in itself if that is what it is.
I am so happy we have a moderator that understands ancient artifacts and understands what a banner find is.
The only picture you need to post now is you with that pipe packed with local flavor and re-lit after hundereds of years. HAA just kidding. I keep dropping in to see your finds. Thanks Steve.

TnMountains

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Very nice pipe, i bet you look at it many times a day as your walking by the room its kept in, i would :) That thing TN is describing looks like a shaft polisher/straightner, i would probally light it up once more, just long enough to not leave any modern residue in the bowl itself ;D jk on that too, actually prob not, would be a great feeling ::)

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
On pic jpg 007 beads i think it was. The item in the middle that is grooved and broke. Is that a polisher for beads or awls? That is a rare item in itself if that is what it is.
I am so happy we have a moderator that understands ancient artifacts and understands what a banner find is.
The only picture you need to post now is you with that pipe packed with local flavor and re-lit after hundreds of years. HAA just kidding. I keep dropping in to see your finds. Thanks Steve.

TnMountains

Yeah, that piece is a Sandstone Polishing Stone. It has the two grooves you see on that side pictured and it has another groove on the other side.

20 years ago I just have packed that bowl with some skunk and fired it up. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread