Best Find Of My Life - Effigy Pipe!! New Pictures!!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out this morning after I got off work and hit one of my Ft Ancient sites. I got there really early and it wasn't even light yet so I tried hunting with a flashlight until it got daylight. I found the Bone Pendant and the small Bone Bead with the flashlight and the rest after it became light enough to see. I wish I would have had my camera with me, but since it was a spur of the moment hunt and I left from work I didn't have it. The Pipe would have made a killer in situ picture. When I first saw it I thought it was a large Deer Antler Arrowpoint and never even thought about it being a Pipe. When I flipped it over and saw the hole for the stem I almost fainted. My heart started pounding and I started sweating and I let out a really loud scream. Definitely the best piece I have ever found in my 44 years of hunting for artifacts.

The first picture is everything I found in the hour and a half I was there and the rest are the Pipe. It has a mouth engraved into the tip at the bottom but no other markings. I was hoping it would have eye engraved in it as well, but trust me I'm not complaining. This thing is in pristine condition. It is made of sandstone and has no damage whatsoever.

Sorry these pictures aren't real clear. I took them in a hurry and will try to get better ones later. My battery died on the camera.

Attachments

• Pipe05.jpg
    Pipe05.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3,613
  • Pipe06.jpg
    Pipe06.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 3,519
  • Pipe08.jpg
    Pipe08.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,574
  • Pipe10.jpg
    Pipe10.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 3,457
  • Pipe11.jpg
    Pipe11.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 3,437
  • Pipe12.jpg
    Pipe12.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3,414
  • Pipe09.jpg
    Pipe09.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3,392
  • Pipe07.jpg
    Pipe07.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,427
Upvote 0

paleojoe

Mar 31, 2008
Re: Best Find Of My Life - Effigy Pipe!!

Wonderful pipe! I said on the first pipe you found,That you deserved it as long as you have been hunting.Now you can quit and save some museum pieces for the rest of us. :wav: :wav:

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio

Dorkfish!!

Super find!! That is a sweetheart of a pipe. When you find something like that it is not worth hunting the rest of that day. You walk around looking at the piece you just found instead of looking at the ground. It takes all of your concentration away. It is a good problem to have though. Congrats on a BANNER find!!

Twig.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I would still be dead. Great,great find...d2

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

DORK !!!!! :thumbsup: Banner !!

That's huge ,. Joel

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

A real thriller starting in the dark of the night! Congratulations, The pipe has an interesting angle to the bowl, about a 45 degree angle which lays nicely in the hand. Banner find!

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How TOTALLY AWESOME!! That is a BANNER find! I think I probably would have screamed too! ;D Thanks for showing it to us!
Kind regards, sandcreek4

Muddy Feet

Feb 13, 2009
MN

Thats awesome! Congrats on a great find. You must have a great area to be able to find stuff in the dark with a flashlight. Most times I can't even find anything in broad daylight. :icon_sunny:

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202

Ummm, Wow, that's about all I can say. I hunt the Ky. side of the big river, and hit a lot of places that are most likely Ft. Ancient as well, but never found anything approaching that. Def. a banner find, especially the fact that it has no damage. Go buy a lottery ticket, sounds like you're having a really lucky day. Congrats on a stellar find :thumbsup:.........

BTW, great going on the bone pieces as well, but I'm afraid the pipe pretty much stole their thunder ;D........

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008

Very Cool Find. Congrats on that one. ;D :icon_pirat: :tard: :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Hippy

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

Wow...That is a best find. amazing it made it all these years without getting broke.
Randy

huntnman

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia

Awesome find! Closest I've ever came to finding a pipe was spotting one about 15 ft down a beach just before my buddy picked it up. lol Guess I should have walked a little faster.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent find Steve, congrats. :thumbsup:

Molly. :)

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks guys and gals. I appreciate all the comments and the nominations for the Banner. I am still so excited about this find that I can't even sleep. I have to work another 12 hour shift tonight and I didn't get into bed until almost 11:00 this morning and have to be to work at 5:30 pm. A buddy of mine who looked at pictures I sent him said he thinks it's a fish effigy or at least some kind of amphibian or aquatic animal.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

Dorkfish , Do you think maybe you could do a lit' write-up about the Ft. Ancient Culture ?? When this pipe hit's the banner , many reading about it may like to read about it's "cultural-context" and see a few other Ft. Ancient artifacts ?

Sooo,.....Effigy-pipe ,.......I see a aardvark there ,... and he's smiling !! ;D Blindpig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread