clay pottery effigy dolls

downwithrocks

Greenie
Apr 18, 2009
East Texas
These clay pottery effigy dolls are an awesome personal find of mine. I have owned them for around 5 years and I have done much research to find out as much as I could about these unique dolls. The results of all that research have lead me to believe these dolls are a one of a kind find. Many people have send me pictures of similar dolls but none exactly like these. I have been told that they date to pre-1600 to 2000 years before present time. There have been dozens of leading experts, from many University’s, museums, galleries, and personal collector's who have collected for over 20 years, look at these dolls. No one can find them documented in any book, or picture of any kind. Everyone who has looked at them is in agreement of the time frame of the dolls. And because of location: East, Tx: thier origin has been debated to be either Caddo ,Quaw Paw, or South American.

The dolls measure around 6 inches tall and 4 inches wide at the widest point and were at one time connected or "hugging". Some people believe that this suggest that they were made as some kind of marriage dolls. They have distinct Caddo facial features but show paint pigment more commonly found in the South American cultures. Other features are what appear to be hoofed feet and one has a raised bump over the heart and the other were the belly button/navel would be.

I was told by a professor of Stephen F. Austin University to insure them for $200,000.00. If you are interested in more information , such as a list of experts and people who have given an opinons on these dolls, or more pictures feel free to email me.

Special Note: Although the dolls show damage all the experts I have spoken to agree that it does not hurt the value of this unquie artifact. I am looking for answers, such as what they are, date, culture, and if the proffessors appraisal is correct. If you think you can help please contact me.

Attachments

• dolls460rescale12.jpg
    dolls460rescale12.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,554
Upvote 0

kwaknet

Greenie
Jan 24, 2007
cowtown, tejas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon / Pirate Wader
"Circle of Friends"........................figures from a top for a chimineya! Used to see em in clients backyards. Mexican made and not old. They always ended up broken apart into pieces of figures, just like yours, as they were extremely friable. Sometimes you can find them at Mexican pottery stores. Amazed they fooled so many "in the know", so to speak. Have watched this thread with interest....and amusement. Sorry for the bummer info....... :coffee2:

OP
OP
downwithrocks

downwithrocks

Greenie
Apr 18, 2009
East Texas
kwaknet ,Sorry but your wrong. I own a set of Circle dolls you are refering to. Here is a picture of what your talking about. The dolls in the oringinal post are very different. And were not connected to any more dolls/figures. It has been determined with some level of certianty that there was only these two connected. Friendship circles were made as trade pieces and therfore the paint on them is very different. Also the feet, and facial features don't macth and thier size is another clue that the oringinal dolls posted are in fact not friendship dolls.

I have contacted someone to help me with a TL Scan as suggested. I will let you guys know what the results are when I know........

Attachments

• dadrescale.jpg
    dadrescale.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 390
  • dadtoprescale.jpg
    dadtoprescale.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 384

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Keep an open mind downwithrocks...If your goal is to figure out what these truly are, explore all possibilities.
To me, the "circle of friends" pics that you posted look very similar to the figurines. Not to say that your finds aren't old and valuable...maybe the ones you found are the "original" and this "pattern" has been passed on through generations. I would definitely use the info. kwaknet gave you to explore the possibilities. Or at least pass it on to the experts so they can look into it. Maybe you've done this already.

T.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Imo the complete set of 'circle of friends' looks identical to the two seperate ones you found.the face features are identical,you can even see the arm that wraps around the back of one of the ones you found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread