Medium & small grinding stones & small polished stones? Your opinion?

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Medium & small grinding stones & small polished stones? Your opinion?

I would like opinions of these the tiny ones have wear all around the outside edges
all the tiny ones are very, very highly polished and when I say polished I really mean shiny and super polished and smooth
I do not know what the small polished ones would be for but I have been told by some of my Sioux Indian relatives have told me
that the tiny ones were sometimes carried with someone as charms or as prayer stones which a few were taken and rolled
in between the hands while praying
I am quite sure that if you could examine these stones (both big & small) in person you would agree that these were not naturally this shiny & polished
any ideas?

Attachments

• 100_4625.jpg
    100_4625.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,783
  • 100_4627.jpg
    100_4627.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 436
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Medium & small grinding stones & small polished stones? Your opinion?

You are in such a diffrent area than me but our creeks are full of cobble stones and highly polished rock. Its really hard to tell unless they are worked or pecked. Who knows they may have polished them. We always forget also what a good weapon a rock is for throwing and taking out game. In my youth I umm took down several small game with rocks and beleive I got a whipping for it,lol. You have been posting some great stuff. Enjoy seeing it.

TnMountains

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

yes tnmountains I know what you mean
the stones pictured have wear marks around the edges or the outside cicumfrence(except for the tiny polished ones)
I am sure these originally came from a creek bottom also
only thing is that these are found in a field not by any creek
no fields have these kinds of worn stones like this except village sites-and they are full of them
I let a friend walk across a 25 acre field and he filled up THREE white plastic grocery bags and could not carry them
he had to leave them lay as they got full and then took his pickup out to go get them-now what is he going to do with all of them?
this says to me that these were all brought to these sites from another location for use as tools /gaming/or other uses I have mentioned
I really appreciate your input on my posts
I admit that my pictures don't reaaly show what I am trying to say
once again thanks for all of the input, I am learning alot from this

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il

They have various uses from cooking, to pecking, to heating sweat lodge (saunas). I had a guy tell me once that they heated them and tossed them under their blankets to keep warm. I believe it because they are everywhere here, and the firecracked ones are as common as flint chips. I don't think they are polished by anything but water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread