Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: some fish hooks and one huge fish hook - NOW double pointed hooks added

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

some fish hooks and one huge fish hook - NOW double pointed hooks added

here are 2 different types of fish hooks
    the tiny one is made from a round bird bone
    the one close to the tiny one is made from a piece of split rib
    the huge one and the one next to it are made from round hollow bones
    the point of the huge one is broke off
    I wish I could get it repaired, I think it would be cool
    does any one have a big one like it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4724.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	293850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4727.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	293851  
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

I want to start a new life with my valuable hunting knife.

May 2007
    16 times

Re: some fish hooks and one huge fish hook

awesome examples!
    I want to start a new life with my valuable hunting knife.

Ohio, are you in agreement with me about the drawing I made to illustrate the missing part of the biggest hook?
    I still think it would be neat to have it repaired what do you think?
    Native Pride -}}}}}------------------------>God Bless you Kelly -}}}}}----------------------> -}}}}}--------------------->
    May your steps be gentle and your eyes be sharp Your flipping stick true and the finds will mark Another season among your friends Preserving Mandan storys from the wind (TnMountains-author)

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    5120 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)

Some very nice examples of Bone Fish Hooks larson. I have a buddy who has one that is around 3 1/2 inches long and it looks like a huge check mark. I've got 2 that I found in the past year and both of them are made from the split bone method. I also have a few Fish Hook Blanks that are bones that were being shaped to make a hook out of them. Do you find any of those?

Here are my hooks. I don't have any good pictures of the blanks.

"Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

us
    Jan 2009
    »»--------->
    220 times

nice ones larson,the bottom piece in the second pic looks more like a drilled piece of bone that was damaged. and the big one looks to large and thick to be a hook, maybe in alaska? just my 2 cents.
    " Stay frosty, gents "

www.arrowheadtalk.com

us
    Mar 2009

Nice fish hooks. Wish I could find one. But I'll keep looking, maybe one of these days.

us
    the boss

Mar 2008
    south dakota
    good eyes
    3514 times

The larger ones are gaffs I've been told. Evidently the natives would trap and or keep fish in pools they could not swim out of, and the natives would just gaff one as needed.

pickaway

Great artifacts...

Hi Thirty7,Thanks for your reply,I have a couple more pictures to show you why I think you are mistaken about your thoughts
    I will post 3 images of similar finished and unfinished hooks
    These should show what I mean
    the small hook is a smaller finished but possibly un-sharpened hook made with the same construction methods
    this method starts with a round bone which is split in half and then a hole drilled before any cutting is started to prevent
    the end from breaking off while the cutting, sharpening, and shaping is being done
    The bigger piece is an un-finished hook about half done which is(or was) being made with the same type of construction method
    only with a bigger piece of raw material to make a bigger hook
    Regarding the size as being too big, let me say this:
    Indians traveled to the Missouri river to catch fish in traps and by hook and line
    The river contained pallid sturgeon(easily 6 feet long, several varieties of catfish (up to 100 lbs)with walleye sauger ,buffalo, etc.
    All of these except the buffalo were extremely fine eating
    I have found a bone awl made from a catfish pectoral spike about 5 inches long which would make the fish over 50 pounds and that huge hook would be the right size for catching one that size. check out the images I have some more hooks of different construction methods- even a couple with a double hook at the end of the shank, Thanks lets keep this topic going if anyone has any more info

Name:	100_4794.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	293998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4797.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	293999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4801.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	294000  

pickaway

wow looks like your correct about that.Awesome post & pics thanks...

Quito I have been told by old people for a source that the fish traps were round and built in the back water or shallow water
    which was 3-4 feet deep.
    meat or bait was placed at the back end of the trap (which was a circle of branches placed close together with the opening placed down current) Many thin 5 foot long willows were placed inside the round trap, these were placed close enough together so that when fish entered
    the trap(mainly catfish)the part of the branches that were above the water would slightly move when the fish rubbed against them with their pectoral stickers, this would signal the person on guard so that when he figured there was enough fish in the trap the open end of the trap
    would be blocked off and the fish could be gathered by hand, or small net and maybe by gaff?(I have never heard by gaff but I think it is
    very possible according to what you are saying.
    Quito,Thanks again, maybe some more good info can be learned from this post if we can get some more participation
    I think I will post a picture of a couple of double pointed hooks
    heritageseedgirl likes this.

Re: some fish hooks and one huge fish hook - NOW double pointed hooks added

here is an image of two double pointed (broke) hooks
    Are these gorge hooks??

Name:	100_4806.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	294046  

here is a picture of what I believe to be 2 fish hook blanks of a different method of construction-each blank would hopefully yield 2 hooks
    this is a link to where I got the idea
    what do yo think??

http://www.ou.edu/cas/archsur/OKArtifacts/fishhook.htm

Name:	100_4812.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	294051  

Feb 2007
    1819 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

wow.when you talked about the types of fish they caught,i thought you were talking about Michigan too the very last one.ever take a metal detector over your place and find a copper hook?a good ideal falls in to your lap by mother nature.and you find the best material too copy it.so i think your rite,that would of worked just fine and probally alot around too use.i wonder if it was a Hobie to them too catch a fish with a hook,i know alot of easier ways too,i used too just kick big salmon out of the creek when they were spawning in Michigan.thorns would have worked too.ones ive seen,and made alot easier.you have filled my head with wonderfull thoughts and i thank you... jamey

Jamey, I know what you mean about the salmon but
    there were no salmonids native to the Dakotas
    I have one more post for us, I will try to get it done tonight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links