More Vt. Cornfield Finds - 5/18

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Went artifact hunting for a couple of hours this morning and heres what I found. Small hammer stone, thumb scrapper, broken knife, broken side notched point, pottery shards, beaver tooth, crude little white point, and two whole points the cornner notch being my best find for the day. Can anyone ID it ? I havn't had time to look it up but my brother looked under the northeastern section in kovells book and said it's either a jacks reef or a kirk cornner notch.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 357
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 352
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 351
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Nice finds!

The well-preserved notched point looks like it might be a Perkiomen broadpoint. Perkiomens are more of a Mid-Atlantic states point, but I have read that their occurence extends into New England. Perkiomens are neat as they are datable to the Terminal Archaic - Early Woodland time frame (circa 1750 - 1000 BC). They are a highly desiable find in my state (Pennsylvania).

Check the base of the point for grinding. If the entire stem and base are ground, with the grinding extending part way along each bottom edge of the blade, that argues strongly for a Perkiomen.

artorius

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
Here's some pics that Im trying to match it to. The first two pics are of a Kirk cornner notch the last two pics are of a Perkiomen. It appears the Perkiomen doesn't have such a tight notch but what do I know. Im pretty good at finding them but I suck at IDing them.

Attachments

• 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 349
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 346
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 339

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
Most Perkiomens do not have a barbed appearance, but some do. Wide variety and irregularity in shape are characteristic of this point.

Again, check the basal grinding. Also, is the point thin in cross-section? Perkiomens commonly are thin in cross-section.

I also would say that the flaking of your point strikes me as more consistent with a Perkiomen than a Kirk.

artorius

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the woodland stamped pottery. I thought it kinda looked like a jacks reef. Out of my little realm though. Nice finds for sure. Cool tooth also. Good hunt Undertaker. Nice finds for sure.

TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread