Arizona Indian Artifact Search

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not getting it straight RANGER the first part of the law listed is you cant collect arrowheads and the last part you can ? and you cant have a MD in a state park ? my pal is full blood and has family on the res. in AZ. if he gives me things is this wrong to have ? or get perrmission to collect on the res. ?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not getting it straight RANGER the first part of the law listed is you cant collect arrowheads and the last part you can ? and you cant have a MD in a state park ? my pal is full blood and has family on the res. in AZ. if he gives me things is this wrong to have ? or get perrmission to collect on the res. ?

No you would not be affected by that. That is something being passed on. The law applies to National Park Service land and any other State or Federally owned lands. It is to preserve history and the natural habitat of that area. However if you should bring a artifact into a National Park area you are subject to the fines and confiscation of potentially your whole collection and it won't matter where you got it from!!...........................GTP

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
State parks are different and vary from state to state, park to park, don't confuse state and federal/national parks. Some national recreation areas allow others don't...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know the laws and ask local officers is my best advice. Some do not mind surface hunting as long as you do not dig. Others say no to all. We watch them hunt all the time.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know they changed the laws here in Ga this yr. You can use your MD but you cant dig :icon_scratch:. What is the sense to bring it if you cant dig? And if you find anything worth more than $25.00 you cant keep it. So I wont be going this yr I dont think.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Park Ranger said:
Removing arrowheads from federal land is illegal. In 16 U.S.C. it is only stating that you are not subject to the fines and imprisonment stated in that section. However it is still illegal under
36 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations)
Preservation of natural, cultural and archeological resources.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, the following is prohibited:
(1) Possessing, destroying, injuring, defacing, removing, digging, or disturbing from its natural state:
(i) Living or dead wildlife or fish, or the parts or products thereof, such as antlers or nests.
(ii) Plants or the parts or products thereof.
(iii) Nonfossilized and fossilized paleontological specimens, cultural or archeological resources, or the parts thereof.
(iv) A mineral resource or cave formation or the parts thereof.
(2) Introducing wildlife, fish or plants, including their reproductive bodies, into a park area ecosystem.
(3) Tossing, throwing or rolling rocks or other items inside caves or caverns, into valleys, canyons, or caverns, down hillsides or mountainsides, or into thermal features.
(4) Using or possessing wood gathered from within the park area: Provided, however, That the superintendent may designate areas where dead wood on the ground may be collected for use as fuel for campfires within the park area.
(5) Walking on, climbing, entering, ascending, descending, or traversing an archeological or cultural resource, monument, or statue, except in designated areas and under conditions established by the superintendent.
(6) Possessing, destroying, injuring, defacing, removing, digging, or disturbing a structure or its furnishing or fixtures, or other cultural or archeological resources.
(7) Possessing or using a mineral or metal detector, magnetometer, side scan sonar, other metal detecting device, or subbottom profiler.
This paragraph does not apply to:
(i) A device broken down and stored or packed to prevent its use while in park areas.
(ii) Electronic equipment used primarily for the navigation and safe operation of boats and aircraft.
(iii) Mineral or metal detectors, magnetometers, or subbottom profilers used for authorized scientific, mining, or administrative activities.
(b) The superintendent may restrict hiking or pedestrian use to a designated trail or walkway system pursuant to §§ 1.5 and 1.7. Leaving a trail or walkway to shortcut between portions of the same trail or walkway, or to shortcut to an adjacent trail or walkway in violation of designated restrictions is prohibited.
(c) (1) The superintendent may designate certain fruits, berries, nuts, or unoccupied seashells which may be gathered by hand for personal use or consumption upon a written determination that the gathering or consumption will not adversely affect park wildlife, the reproductive potential of a plant species, or otherwise adversely affect park resources.
(2) The superintendent may:
(i) Limit the size and quantity of the natural products that may be gathered or possessed for this purpose; or
(ii) Limit the location where natural products may be gathered; or
(iii) Restrict the possession and consumption of natural products to the park area.
(3) The following are prohibited:
(i) Gathering or possessing undesignated natural products.
(ii) Gathering or possessing natural products in violation of the size or quantity limits designated by the superintendent.
(iii) Unauthorized removal of natural products from the park area.
(iv) Gathering natural products outside of designated areas.
(v) Sale or commercial use of natural products.
(d) This section shall not be construed as authorizing the taking, use or possession of fish, wildlife or plants for ceremonial or religious purposes, except where specifically authorized by Federal statutory law, treaty rights, or in accordance with § 2.2 or § 2.3.

This is specific to the National Park Service the National Forest Service has a similar law located in the 36 CFR section below

§ 296.4
Prohibited acts and criminal penalties.
(a) Under section 6(a) of the Act, no person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface, or attempt to excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resource located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit issued under § 296.8 or exempted by § 296.5(b) of this part.
(b) No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, or receive any archaeological resource, if such resource was excavated or removed in violation of:
(1) The prohibitions contained in paragraph (a) of this section; or
(2) Any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under any other provision of Federal law.
(c) Under section (d) of the Act, any person who knowingly violates or counsels, procures, solicits, or employs any other person to violate any prohibition contained in section 6 (a), (b), or (c) of the Act will, upon conviction, be fined not more than $10,000.00 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both: provided, however, that if the commercial or archaeological value of the archaeological resources involved and the cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds the sum of $500.00, such person will be fined not more than $20,000.00 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon conviction such person will be fined not more than $100,000.00, or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
[49 FR 1027, Jan. 6, 1984, as amended at 60 FR 5260, Jan. 26, 1995]

My Suggestion to everyone is do not take the legal advice from someone on this board it will not save you in court. If you want to know the rules and regulations for a section of land under federal law call that federal agency and ask them the specific rules and laws for that area. In the end it will save you a lot of troubles, headaches, and money.

Are you really a park ranger? It seems like you really have the facts down pat. Welcome aboard. How many of these laws are enforced? I know some of them are put on the book to prevent the "second stage" of an act. Kind of like people putting up no skateboarding signs to keep graffiti from showing up. I hope that makes sense. Also, I see where your list says not to collect wood from the park. I was recently in a park that had that rule reversed. A disease is killing trees in the park, so they are asking that no wood from outside the park be brought in. Now, that is a state park. Not a federal park. In fact, I didn't know federal parks existed. Thanks for listing the laws.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
rock said:
I know they changed the laws here in Ga this yr. You can use your MD but you cant dig :icon_scratch:. What is the sense to bring it if you cant dig? And if you find anything worth more than $25.00 you cant keep it. So I wont be going this yr I dont think.

Wow! You can MD, but can't dig. Wow! Why didn't they just keep it at no MD? Wow!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You can MD, but can't dig. Wow! Why didn't they just keep it at no MD? Wow!

Mostly so someone can try to find a piece of jewlery they lost or some other metallic object. Once you go below the surface your going back in time. I'm clueless on the 25$ thing.. that sounds incorrect to me... it would leave way to much to opinion of something's value. 25 or 50 yrs.. would make more sence.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mostly so someone can try to find a piece of jewlery they lost or some other metallic object. Once you go below the surface your going back in time. I'm clueless on the 25$ thing.. that sounds incorrect to me... it would leave way to much to opinion of something's value. 25 or 50 yrs.. would make more sence.

I called and spoke to the person in charge.......so it is correct. I always went in the winter and saw a new law so I called to be sure it was correct. The reason you cant dig is cause they are afraid you might disturb a grave is what I was told.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread