Info needed on Iowa River zone #7 near Chelsea ?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys and gals

I have been looking at a trip up to Chelsea Iowa to look at around 300 acres to lease. Its currently in a DNR conservation program. I have toyed with leasing this tract along the Iowa River for some Deer Hunting for several years. The owners have shared with me some beautiful axes and points and blades from around this area. As I may take a road trip to scout thought I might check for some artifact hunting as well. So that being said I have found out my deadline for permitts is tomorrow : (. So the hunt is out probably.
I may still go check it out for next year though.
Does anyone hunt artifacts near or in this area? Any information from personal hunts would be appreciated. I can take canoe or boat for the river.
Thank you.
Richard
TnMtns

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to go this year if possible. First priority would be establishing the lease and potential Deer hunting and then its all arrowheads : ). Know anything about the area?

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
TN mountains

Iowa is beautiful and has some giant whitetails and fat turkeys. (both are grain fed) I guess you know there is no center fire rifle hunting for deer. Bowhunting, percussion gun, shotgun with slugs. But the best tasting venison you ever ate.

Chelsea is right on the line between the frozen north and the Banana belt (hwy 30) South of hwy 30 always seems to be a little warmer weather. Bring plenty cold weather gear, just in case.

Was born and raised in Northern Ia. and moved to central Iowa as a teen. After stint in Marine Corps raised a family in Texas and have been here since.

PS...if you are ever there around first part of Aug or so, pick up some fresh picked sweet corn. After you try it you will think all corn on the cob you have eaten before was made of cardboard. Also wild Morels in spring can't be beat.

Happy hunting,
BW

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravowhiskey
This is actually off route 30. I was thinking perdesolli rolling block in 50 cal. with 1:28 twist might work nicely. Any idea on the artifacts? Thanks fo the info sir.
TnMtns

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
unfortunately i dont know anything about this area,but i do know i love to bow hunt and relic hunt and would love to explore a new area of the country,i am serious about splitting the travel expenses if you need a co-pilot.lol.leave the girls at home!and bravo must know i love sweet corn!

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
TN,

As you mentioned in your message about your youth in Bryan, I also wasn't paying attention to these pursuits as a kid.
Never have found an Iowa artifact, yet. My folks and a lot of family are still there so maybe, someday.

I remember as a youngun' going to Effigy Mounds National Monument up in NE Iowa, a few miles North of McGregor. Very cool. A paleo burial site. Unique in the fact mounds found in a four state area, Ia., Minn., Wisc., Ill., (if memory serves) are only ones ever found in shapes of animals. Some are huge. Check it out.

Used to be plenty of friendly farmers, who if properly approached could be a real asset. (at least to a young pheasant hunter) Your own lease may prove to hold some digs.

I have some family history, old letters, telling of great, great grandmother helping freezing Indian woman pin up her blanket in cold of winter. Giving out food from the house to some that were camped down on the West Fork. But that was over in Franklin/Butler county.

Best,
BW

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
bravowhiskey said:
TN,

As you mentioned in your message about your youth in Bryan, I also wasn't paying attention to these pursuits as a kid.
Never have found an Iowa artifact, yet. My folks and a lot of family are still there so maybe, someday.

I remember as a youngun' going to Effigy Mounds National Monument up in NE Iowa, a few miles North of McGregor. Very cool. A paleo burial site. Unique in the fact mounds found in a four state area, Ia., Minn., Wisc., Ill., (if memory serves) are only ones ever found in shapes of animals. Some are huge. Check it out.

Used to be plenty of friendly farmers, who if properly approached could be a real asset. (at least to a young pheasant hunter) Your own lease may prove to hold some digs.

I have some family history, old letters, telling of great, great grandmother helping freezing Indian woman pin up her blanket in cold of winter. Giving out food from the house to some that were camped down on the West Fork. But that was over in Franklin/Butler county.

Best,
BW
when you refer to the uniqueneess of effigy mounds,i mean no disrespect but those are not the only ones ever found in north america.i would have to get a book out to recite the exact locations other than the one in ohio called the serpent mound.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
greg,

Ok, no offense taken. Only quoting what they said in their tour. Google Effigy Mounds and you may see what I'm talking about.

BW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread