Some finds in Crystal City, TX by Laredo

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Here are some pics of some artifacts that I recovered in Crystal City along the Nueces River. Found one uniface blade/scraper that has been reworked along the edges a little, what looks to be a triangle point, and a very small preform or bifacial scraper. The point looks tapered at one end, not at the point end. I am thinking that it was broke at one time then made into a scraper, ??. Or, that was what was the maker intended to do, I am not 100% sure; it's not worked on both sides at the hafting end just one side has been worked, it is not a broke tip though. I hope the pic is good enough to see. I had only a little time to hunt the area b/c I happened to be working an oil and gas job at the time, so I am sure I overlooked alot of area. If anyone has pics of different triangle points that would help a lot. Thanks...

Attachments

• DSC00481.JPG
    DSC00481.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC00483.JPG
    DSC00483.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 312
  • DSC00486.JPG
    DSC00486.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 321
  • DSC00480.JPG
    DSC00480.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 322
  • DSC00479.JPG
    DSC00479.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC00478.JPG
    DSC00478.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC00477.JPG
    DSC00477.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 313
  • DSC00476.JPG
    DSC00476.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC00475.JPG
    DSC00475.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 318
  • DSC00470.JPG
    DSC00470.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 310
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go :wav:
Your hard work and hunting has sure paid off for you. That triangular is a common made nice point all across the U.S. Its called many things and depends upon where you are.
The scrapers and preform/scraper are great. Beautiful material and workmanship. You did well down in Crystal City. Am happy for you. You brought home some keepers.
Regards,
TnMountains

OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Thanks TN, I will be going back there tomorrow to finish up the job in Crystal City.. I will be working along a few ranches/farms that skirt the Nueces monitoring vibroseis trucks. Hope I have time to search around a bit, b/c I am telling you these areas are really prime b/c no one hunts them. Mostly just farmers and foremans around. I have talked to the foremans out there and they don't care that I am out there, b/c I am just working... Hope to get some time to kick around a bit of dirt. Oh, that brown triangle point I found is a commonly found point type in South Texas, and it sure looks to be a Tortuga triangle point, maybe, that's labeled either early to middle Archaic. Archaeologists have been trying to correlate different types from the area, but it's been a tough ordeal.... It was mentioned the larger the point the older it is. Mine is medium sized for a South Texas triangle point. Also mentioned, was the fact that these point types were commonly used as tools other than just dart points; knives, scrapers, etc.. The points were supposidly not stemmed due to the rough materials available, i.e. not the best lithic sources.. There's not a large availability of superb lithics to choose from in that region it was said.. Well, that's all I got on it so far.... thanks for checkin it out..

OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
The point is brown in color, and it was cleaned before I took the pic. All the pieces shown were cleaned, so you are looking at the actual color.. Thanks for looking, and I will keep my eyes peeled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread