Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Uniface at your service, Ma'am :hello:

Your item is definitely a "something." Specifically, a prismatic removal from either a prepared core, or a block in the process of becoming one.

The heavily patinated side faced downward over the years.

I suspect this was, functionally, a piece esquilles (splitting wedge) from the chips out of the edges. When they're erratic like that, and extending into both faces, you've got evidence of a wedge rather than re-touching.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks uniface. Ummm....huh? I think I get the part a prismatic removal. that's referring to the ridged side? It was removed from the core in this manner? That caused this shape? You lost me on the erratic part. If this was a splitting wedge(how cool is that!?) is the rounded end from being hit with a stone? And what would it have split? Bone? Thanks again,

naturegirl

P

pickaway

To me looks like a piece of flint thats been in a river and tumbled...

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
thanks pik, It could be that, nature create her own work too. It just has so much symmetry to it. Any more thoughts?

ng

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The patinazation on this rules out it having come out of a river. Buried with the ridged side up. Thus the bottom patinated (as would be expected) more heavily.

Prismatic Blade : shaped like a prism in cross section. Often removed from a core shaped something like a flat-topped ice cream cone ; blades like this were knapped from the flat top, with the resulting blades coming off the sides.

Erratic : chipping isn't side-by-side, but at random. And (notice) out of both the top and bottom sides in the same spots.

The edges aren't as heavily battered as you'd expect from such a tool that had been in use for a while, but the diagnostic characteristics are pretty clear, and difficult to plausibly attribute to some other cause.

For what it's worth (assuming anything).

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
uniface said:
The patinazation on this rules out it having come out of a river. Buried with the ridged side up. Thus the bottom patinated (as would be expected) more heavily.

Prismatic Blade : shaped like a prism in cross section. Often removed from a core shaped something like a flat-topped ice cream cone ; blades like this were knapped from the flat top, with the resulting blades coming off the sides.

Erratic : chipping isn't side-by-side, but at random. And (notice) out of both the top and bottom sides in the same spots.

The edges aren't as heavily battered as you'd expect from such a tool that had been in use for a while, but the diagnostic characteristics are pretty clear, and difficult to plausibly attribute to some other cause.

For what it's worth (assuming anything).
i have to disagree with you uniface,artifacts found in a river or stream may spend most of their time in the dirt before they are actually found in the water,artifacts found in rivers and streams do patinize.I understand that you may be refereing to this particular artifacts patinzation,it is extreme.I agree with your assumption on this tool but I wouldnt rule out piks river tumbled theory.hey nature girl did you find this in a river or creek?in the water or on a gravel/sand bar?

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Well sure, Greg. But patinazation from immersion in water would be uniform all over it.

I'm trying to remember stuff that's come out of rivers (Florida as a prime example) that indicates otherwise without much success. Even with with the tannin removed, both faces are uniform in color/texture/patina. Same story with a core I just got from out of a creek in Mo.

Of course, it's more than likely that you've seen a lot of stuff I haven't . . . (?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread