Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
I have not posted anything in a while and did not want you all to think I have been slacking... Have been out in the mountains working on some leases and decided to try and find some new rock shelters to hunt over the Tennessee Valley and thought I would show what comes out of them. The first picture you all have seen before but it is one of my favotites.The second picture is looking off the mountain. I lease all the places I am showing and have written rights to all my activities (fun).
DCP_1829.JPG
100_1783.JPG
Here are just a few of the shelters I found. The ones dug out I just kept hiking but you can see some morters left years ago on the ground. Key componet is always a nearby water source and they do not have to face south as many people think.
100_1784.JPG
Not dug
100_1798.JPG
Morters left from previous diggers on the ground. Slight impression in the stone or a cupped area from grinding.
100_1785.JPG
Not dug.
100_1800.JPG
This was the best looking shelter I found..Its non dug and a test hole gave me charcoal at 3 feet and a broke curved base.
100_1810.JPG
100_1808.JPG
Here are a few points all found while digging rock shelters in the past.
100_1809.JPG
100_1811.JPG
100_1812.JPG
DCP_1829.JPG
Time permitts I hope to be able to hunt these this year before hunting season.I know we all hunt fields and water ways but thought it might also be fun to see some rock shelters. Hopefully I will be able to share some recent finds. Thanks for looking.
TnMountains

Attachments

• 100_1783.JPG
    100_1783.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • 100_1784.JPG
    100_1784.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,067
  • 100_1798.JPG
    100_1798.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • 100_1785.JPG
    100_1785.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 100_1800.JPG
    100_1800.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 1,014
  • 100_1810.JPG
    100_1810.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 918
  • 100_1808.JPG
    100_1808.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 986
  • 100_1809.JPG
    100_1809.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 950
  • 100_1811.JPG
    100_1811.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 992
  • 100_1812.JPG
    100_1812.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 974
Upvote 0

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
Since I live in the coastal plains of southwest Georgia I have no history of looking in rock shelters. I really enjoyed seeing the rock shelters you posted. I'll bet it is really exciting to find one that has not been dug. The points you have found in them are nice!! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome Americus. I always enjoy seeing everyone elses places also. We are riddled with caves and such. Its a fun diffrent type of hunting. Thanks for looking.
TnMountains

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Pics TN ! Those are some cool rock shelters, So much different then anything i have been around. Do ya go out and camp at the shelters and dig all week-end or drive back and forth ? Very nice!!!!!

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MANCHU said:
Great Pics TN ! Those are some cool rock shelters, So much different then anything i have been around. Do ya go out and camp at the shelters and dig all week-end or drive back and forth ? Very nice!!!!!

I have camped at them but now days its easier to go home for that shower. Digging in the summer is very dirty and sweaty and lots of snakes. Best to go in febuary after hunting season I 4 wheeler as far as I can then hike in. Thanks MANCHU
TnMountains

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that thrid picture is so nice.my computer is so sick cant talk much but boy do i want to hunt with ya.thanks tn mountains i stayed in that picture for an hour. jamey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
That first pic is stunning in scope.
Have what could have been some rock shelters on the family place. Right now I will stay away as they are snake magnets. I am very interested in doing a little digging come winter. You have made some great finds. I am jealous of your area being cave filled. Always loved the idea of finding a cave unknown to others.
Keep at it.

BW

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jamey said:
that thrid picture is so nice.my computer is so sick cant talk much but boy do i want to hunt with ya.thanks tn mountains i stayed in that picture for an hour. jamey
Jamey I have missed seeing you and you have a hunt with any time after the 4th of july.Stay in touch you ole stones river hunter
bravowhiskey said:
That first pic is stunning in scope.
Have what could have been some rock shelters on the family place. Right now I will stay away as they are snake magnets. I am very interested in doing a little digging come winter. You have made some great finds. I am jealous of your area being cave filled. Always loved the idea of finding a cave unknown to others.
Keep at it.

BW
Bravo I think I saw where you showed some shelters? I take a rake and clean out the debri and snakes .On the last shelter I showed was a cave in the side or at least a deep hole I climbed to the top and found a smoke hole on top of the bluff. I did not have a flash light though to check it out. They consider my area to be the cave belt of the south, I have the largest cave in Marion county on one leases. No artifacts there though. Do have some deep pits to explore. I rope climb and spelunk. Getting older though,lol. Its funny one shelter can be good and another zip. I am learning to look at daily living areas outside them and continue searching.We will see. Wish you luck on your spots. Sometimes you will find a cache they left. I have found arrowheads and preforms sitting on a rock shelf like they were left their yesterday. Good luck and I saw the cool gifts you have GregRocks.
TnMountains

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
Looks promising Tn, really enjoyed the pics and previous cave finds, keep us posted.

Typology is very difficult for me on these type points? Just when I think I know I am not sure,,, any thoughts.
Thanks

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures and great looking shelters TN. Have you thought about digging underneath those fallen rocks in the first picture. That cave in could have happened recently, as in the last 100 years or so, and there may be some nice artifacts under there. I agree about the heat and the snakes. Best time to dig shelters is from November and up until the ground freezes.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
TnMountains said:
thirty7 said:
Looks promising Tn, really enjoyed the pics and previous cave finds, keep us posted.

Typology is very difficult for me on these type points? Just when I think I know I am not sure,,, any thoughts. Mountains on the border and maybe the line on N.Ala and S.E Tn on the ones posted at the end. Carter mtn to be exact.
Thanks
great pics of some great looking spots,I could lose myself in there for weeks!heres my opinion on those points you have found in shelters. pic 1 the weak shoulders make me think that may be a dalton,pic 2 too much of the base misssing to id,pic 3 think that could be a maples,pic 4 too much of base missing for an id,pic 5 looks like a buzzard roost creek point.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DorkFish said:
Nice pictures and great looking shelters TN. Have you thought about digging underneath those fallen rocks in the first picture. That cave in could have happened recently, as in the last 100 years or so, and there may be some nice artifacts under there. I agree about the heat and the snakes. Best time to dig shelters is from November and up until the ground freezes.
That first Shelter is in a line of about 6 shelters. They have been hammered really hard. That rock is huge in that first shelter.We did dig some morters out and a rock stair case(stepping stones) Ancient man knew to watch out for those ceilings. Cold winter and a fire and that rock pops off. Heard a story about digging under one of those slabs on the floor and finding a crushed ancient.
But you are right about digging around any rock on the floor as that is where you will find most your stuff that and the back walls. So many of these mountain type shelters were seasonal and all about the hickory nuts. The valley held the game most times. They would go up there to get nuts and make tools in their spare time. Rare is the pottery.Now if the shelter is near the base of the valley or like russel cave down the road you had better camp out and write a book about it.
: ). On average I would say there are shelters on the bluffs and tops of the mountains say 3 every mile with some places having as many as 10-20 per mile. Anywhere there is an overhang somebody built a fire at some point.
Its so diffrent in the valleys and rivers.
greg-rocks said:
TnMountains said:
thirty7 said:

Typology is very difficult for me on these type points? Just when I think I know I am not sure,,, any thoughts. Mountains on the border and maybe the line on N.Ala and S.E Tn on the ones posted at the end. Carter mtn to be exact.
Thanks
great pics of some great looking spots,I could lose myself in there for weeks!heres my opinion on those points you have found in shelters. pic 1 the weak shoulders make me think that may be a dalton,pic 2 too much of the base misssing to id,pic 3 think that could be a maples,pic 4 too much of base missing for an id,pic 5 looks like a buzzard roost creek point.
greg-rocks said:
TnMountains said:
thirty7 said:

Thanks
Nice side flaking on the brokes. I will take Daltons at three feet,lol. This is that lease I told you about. #3 looks like a small maples agree on #5

mikez

Jul 21, 2008
New England
Wow! Very cool. You live in a great area.
Funny you all mention the snakes. I actually LIKE snakes - I even look for them on purpose. :o The first thing I thought when I saw the pics was what a great place to find some timber rattlers. :wink: Snake hunting goes well with artifact hunting.
Looking forward to seeing any more pics from the area. Feel free to include the snakes.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg offer still stands after Bristol if you want to spend some time there. Here is some pics from the daily snap shot of that property http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,254391.0.html

You are welcome to bring a shovel and try your luck. The ponds are full of catfish.

Mikez. I like the snakes also. They are just a part of it, its alot like looking for flint. In time you learn to see them. I just dont do the happy dance!!!!!,lol.
Thanks for looking.

redlined

Jan 15, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
MXT,Excellerator 4.5x7,Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202
Man the memories those pics bring back. Before I got married, kids, and everything else, digging was all I'd do. Looks very much like the rock shelters here as well. We once found a small cave overlooking a river deep on a ridgeline, it was slap full of artifacts and freshwater mussel shells from that little river. We used to do the same as you, only we waited until late summer, and ginseng hunted while we scouted new bluffs to dig. By the time the 'seng died back in the fall, we had found enough new places to keep us busy for another year. Sadly, I've been out of the digging loop so long, I don't even know what the laws are in this state anymore. Anyhow, thanks for giving me the itch again, seeing those big overhangs made my pulse jump quite a bit.

FWIW, some of those smaller shelters really give up the high quality stuff at times. We dug gorgets, celts, and some great Archaic point types out of shelters no bigger than an average size hotel room. We dug some great stuff out of the huge shelters too, but running four sifters and a 8' vertical wall of dirt in front of you is really more like work than fun, plus the possibility of a cave-in can makes things a little hairy......

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
redlined said:
Man the memories those pics bring back. Before I got married, kids, and everything else, digging was all I'd do. Looks very much like the rock shelters here as well. We once found a small cave overlooking a river deep on a ridgeline, it was slap full of artifacts and freshwater mussel shells from that little river. We used to do the same as you, only we waited until late summer, and ginseng hunted while we scouted new bluffs to dig. By the time the 'seng died back in the fall, we had found enough new places to keep us busy for another year. Sadly, I've been out of the digging loop so long, I don't even know what the laws are in this state anymore. Anyhow, thanks for giving me the itch again, seeing those big overhangs made my pulse jump quite a bit.

FWIW, some of those smaller shelters really give up the high quality stuff at times. We dug gorgets, celts, and some great Archaic point types out of shelters no bigger than an average size hotel room. We dug some great stuff out of the huge shelters too, but running four sifters and a 8' vertical wall of dirt in front of you is really more like work than fun, plus the possibility of a cave-in can makes things a little hairy......
Once in a blue moon you hit a real nice one. We found a few during deer season one time went back and some guys had rigged a pump to a creek and washed them out.There was mud on the ceilings. They pillaged for years. 10 years later I met the guy that did it. I still get upset the way they went about their hunts.
Yours was a year round shelter with a good creek. They are rare now days if almost unheard of to see one not dug. Go back and see what all you missed at your shelter of long ago. Glad it brought back good memories.
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread