Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice !!!! I never buy anything but a little s.american and have never sold anything,,sooo all i can say is looks nice and wish I had found it :thumbsup:

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
My friend inherited these pieced from his wife's family. The original collector was a doctor in the Ohio/Indiana area, he would pay kids to follow the plows and get the points. He passed away in 1920 so this was a very long time ago. The original collector ended up with a large box full of items, and my friend ended up with the point, axe and the mystery pot. Not much artifact action here in upstate NY, an occasional point but nothing too fancy.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks folks for the replies. Me and my buddy are long-time bottle and detector guys, we don't now much about these items. Best regards, gleaner1.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember the axe head from my mid finger tip to almost my wrist, about 6.5", I didn't measure the spear point, but its big, I'd say close to 5" long.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The axe head is nice, but not a particularly high dollar item. Maybe $200 to $300 or so on a regular day, $400 to $500 on a good day.

The dove is a better piece. It looks like patinated hornstone, and is highly collectable. If it's around 5" I'd say at least $1000 probably more. Have him take it to a show sometime, he'll get lots of offers on it.

gleaner1 said:
I remember the axe head from my mid finger tip to almost my wrist, about 6.5", I didn't measure the spear point, but its big, I'd say close to 5" long.

OZZMAN

Jul 7, 2009
I would like to thank everyone that supplied info on the stone axe, the large point. and the pot that are posted here. As my friend stated, they orginally belonged to my great grandfather, who in turn passed them on to my mother and finally to me. He was a doctor in Orleans Indiana in the late in the 1800 hundreds. He had a blanket chest in his office that my mother remembered was full of Indian artifacts that were collected by kids following farmers plowing their fields and then sold to him. His three best pieces were those posted here and were kept in his home. After his death, my mother, who would be 107 if she was alive today," said she had no idea what happened to ever happened to the things in his office". I collect bottles and cast iron toys but have always enjoyed these items and have them displayed proudly with my other items. Once again, thanks again for all for your input and I would appreciate any further commets.

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
OZZMAN, welcome to TNet!

Ozzy showed me the ropes with antique bottles way back in 1970, I was just a kid that grabbed a few old bottles out of a woodchuck hole and found out that they "were worth money".

A couple years later, he enlisted me into the local bottle club. I went to every meeting for years (once a month, every first Monday). The memories and the stories and the finds stick with me like glue. The guys were talking about mysterious "metal detectors"....not to find coins, but to find bottle dumps.

Everyone, thanks for helping OZZMAN with his artifacts. And thanks alot Ozzy, now everytime I detect in the woods, every rock or stone is see is gonna look like a point or an axe head, its driving me crazy.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
welcome to tn OZZMAN,if you got anymore of your great grandfathers artifacts im sure a few of us wouldnt mind checking them out .thx for sharing your collection.just curious, wonder how much he paid the kids for those pieces?? :thumbsup:

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! I have an ax head just like it, but also have no idea on the value.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Prices on relics are way down, at least this is my experience. 7 years ago I was seeing 3.5" g-10 lostlakes pulling $5,000 regularly on ebay. In fact one lostlake sold for like $14,000 on ebay which I am sure a few of you remember. 5" Dovetails like the aforementioned would have pulled multiple thousands even on Ebay 5 years ago. Those prices haven't come back and probably won't either. The Dovetail looks like that classic southern Indiana style. 500.00 - 1000.00 depending on the size. nice relics!

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
First off it is next to impossible to determine any value from a photo. Nor is it possible to determine the material from a photo. Patina is not clear on photos and a live inspection would be required to determine authenticity and value.

I would NOT use any suggested values of the relics from these images as qualified insurable values.
For insurance, you should get a certified appraiser to give a written documented appraiser with photos of all photos.
Most insurance other than speciallized insurance companies which deal in collectables will require a complete inventory of all relics.

I live in central Indiana and have been a relic hunter / collector for 30+ years. Never take as gospel family or collector 'legend'.

I agree taking the relics to a show and having long time collectors give thier opinion is needed.

BeachBum2U

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2013
SE Arizona
Detector(s) used
Don't know but I think I need a better one!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stone Axe Head?

Hi, if anyone is still active on this forum could you please assist me? I know nothing about primitive stones and artifacts however, I love learning and in a short time with this piece, it's been a great experience. I am assisting my neighbor who does not have access to the internet. He unearthed a few pieces in one area recently, this is one of them. Is it possible it is Hohokum Stone Axe - Mid Archaic? Any info is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance! (photo included)
Mid ArchaicSWHohokumStoneAxeAPR2013.jpg

BeachBum2U

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2013
SE Arizona
Detector(s) used
Don't know but I think I need a better one!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, am curious about the chips. At first glance I thought there were chips or breaks in the stone, but I've obvserved that the edge is very sharp and wonder if this was done intentionaly?

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
This looks to be a 4/4 grooved axe. You are correct, mid archaic. The pics will not allow me to answer much about the business ends of this piece. Looks to me that the bit was damaged beyond resharpening, although, they tried. Instead of discarding the tool, it looks like they kept it for the poll end. The poll seems to have more than normal wear on it. That is my guess, based on what I see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions