IMG_0674.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4,868
Upvote 0

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Celt, hard to believe it's in that good of condition, considering it's at
least 3 to 5,000 years old or older. Also to be found in a planted field, well that is just uncanny that it never got broken.

If I were you, I'd be detecting and arrow head hunting more often in this field. I do it all the time, while I'm relic hunting. I have found some really nice pieces while just watching the ground, while I'm detecting.

Again, Fantastic Find. Definitely a "Banner" for sure!!

HH, Ringfinder

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The last picture, far right is a very nice grooved celt, for those who don't believe there are such a thing:laughing7: :laughing7:

Very nice Larson, I have a grooved celt just like yours too.

Joel

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I kinda want to agree with RelicHunters on the fancy spear tip theory
but I am not an expert
I still invite all opinions and give thanks in advance for them

I dont think I'd call that a "Celt". Nor do I think it was for normal every day use. From the shape of the bit, it looks like it couldnt have been for any utilitarian purpose. (Possibly warfare?)
I'd call that a ceremonial grade artifact. I once found a full grooved axe with a bit shaped like that with red ochre still on/in the stone.
I could do with a find like that myself.
Thanks for the peek.

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Wow that is neat!! Such an unusual style to boot. Congrats on the banner! It's nice to see artifacts up there in that ticker.

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a warrior’s weapon. But it could have had many other uses, of course. Building houses/earth lodges, building palisades, splitting kindling wood, etc. Small, lightweight, thin, grooved or notched axes are generally a late Woodland or Plains Village item, at least in the Dakotas anyway. The women did most of the work (including house construction) so I wonder if the smaller, lighter axes/hammers were used mainly by the women. :icon_scratch:

Cool find!

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
runtee said:
Possibly a warrior’s weapon. But it could have had many other uses, of course. Building houses/earth lodges, building palisades, splitting kindling wood, etc. Small, lightweight, thin, grooved or notched axes are generally a late Woodland or Plains Village item, at least in the Dakotas anyway. The women did most of the work (including house construction) so I wonder if the smaller, lighter axes/hammers were used mainly by the women. :icon_scratch:

Cool find!
i lived in the williston nd area wish i looked for flint back then.you find many artifacts?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
runtee, This piece is very heavy and not very sharp
This is why I don't think it was a tool
it would not cut wood or meat and it would not be a good choice for splitting or cutting or a weapon
I am thinking it was either ornamental or ceremonial

Steve71, I find quite a bit of flint and chert(tongue river silicified sediment)
I have never been to Williston but I think it is Mandan-Hidatsa culture and close to the Missouri river

btw, nepatu waste (nee-pa-too wash-tay) means "my friend, have a good day" in Sioux

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, belated congradulations.

The weight/function issue is shaky ground by itself. Here in the (forested) east, they made long (like two or three feet) cigar-shaped pestles of pecked-&-ground quartzite. Heavy suckers, maybe three inches thick. They attached these by thongs to tree limbs over the (stone, probably) containers their dried corn was in. The downward thrust was easy, and the springy tree limb pulled them most of the way back up for the next stroke.

From the bluntness of the working edge, I would speculate that it was for something on the order of flax scutching.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
uniface said:
First off, belated congradulations.

The weight/function issue is shaky ground by itself. Here in the (forested) east, they made long (like two or three feet) cigar-shaped pestles of pecked-&-ground quartzite. Heavy suckers, maybe three inches thick. They attached these by thongs to tree limbs over the (stone, probably) containers their dried corn was in. The downward thrust was easy, and the springy tree limb pulled them most of the way back up for the next stroke.

From the bluntness of the working edge, I would speculate that it was for something on the order of flax scutching.
interesting take on it uniface.I happen to own half a roller pestle that measures 12 x 3 that has high polish and weighs a ton,wish i had the other half.never have heard that method of use for a roller pestle.sounds like a new topic for you uniface.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't say now, since I gave it away (with all of what I found there. To good people who were interested in continuing the collection & would keep it "local"). But as I recall, while the whole thing was ground, the use wear was at one end.

marty from missouri

Jun 17, 2009
congrates and ty for all your post its a banner for sure and i enjoy your post almost as much as you do in finding the artifacts goodluck keep posting =)

Magil

Jan 18, 2008
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, Sharpshooter II
I took the liberty to contact the state Archaeologist on this one. Made mention that the notches didn't seem worn. Here's what he had to say.

I have seen many rather thin fully grooved and 3/4 grooved but never one grooved as this is. I too am bothered by the apparent freshness of the notches. Let alone that they are in a most unusual configuration. I also notice that there is no bit at the working end, not even any apparent attempts. No grinding or pecking or anything. Without seeing the item or knowing more about it, I also doubt that the working end damage has anything do to with actual use.

Lastly what I find odd is the pattern in the rust-colored plow scar on the upper and right side. Notice how it is reduced to the very edge of the upper groove but not in it, and yet does seem to overlap the edge of the lower groove. Without being able to examine it in hand, I am unconvinced that this is a real plow scar.

I will certainly look through additional literature in case it is something odd that I have not ever seen before, and it is always a possibility. But if asked to risk the $32 in my pocket....I'd be turning that bet down.

Happy Weekend.

Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread