Artifact hunting in Ontario, Canada

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I am heading to Ontario on a fishing trip on Lac Seul near Ear Falls later this month. The area I am going to has a rich history of Native American inhabitation. I have been searching the net for information as to whether it is legal to collect artifacts and bring them across the border. Does anyone have any information about this or know of a link to such information?

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I spend a lot of time in Ontario and Quebec for work, and as I understand it from local collectors, you should be fine as long as you aren't on First Nations land (be it a reserve, territory, park, etc.) A lot of the land in Northern and Western Ontario is Native controlled, so check carefully.

Outside of native lands, I think it's illegal on public lands (but the locals swear no one cares unless it's a park or something specific.) I understand it is legal to surface hunt on private land with permission.

Take your metal detector, that's on the upper edge of copper country, but you might find a site no one hunts frequently.

archer66 said:
I am heading to Ontario on a fishing trip on Lac Seul near Ear Falls later this month. The area I am going to has a rich history of Native American inhabitation. I have been searching the net for information as to whether it is legal to collect artifacts and bring them across the border. Does anyone have any information about this or know of a link to such information?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread