eye candy

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
havent had enough time to get out hunting this week,so i have been doing a little virtual hunting when i have had the time.these were made by a guy named roy miller who happens to own some property that has some of the flintridge quarrys on it.the longest dove in first pic is 7 9/16 inches long.could you imagine??
roymillergroup8dovessm.jpg

roymiller8pointsgrouplarge.jpg

Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
wow, I really enjoyed that link. That guy has those button base doves down to a science. Heat treated ridge is something else.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
OMG! Eye candy for sure. BUT, could he do that well given the circumstances of, haven't eaten in a long time, living through a blizzard, not much game, ? You know, some of the circumstances the original knappers dealt with? Just wondering, never really thought about it before, thanks for the pic.

naturegirl

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pieces for sure. Flint Ridge is definitely a very colorful and beautiful stone.

My only concern is that these pieces don't make it into someones collection 25 to 50 years down the road as authentic artifacts.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like them more if they were knapped and photographed then the knapper showed his respect for the hobby and culture by drilling a kill hole in them. Wont be long and they will say made in China.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
tn mts and dorkfish i agree 100% that it would be a bad thing if these pieces were ever sold as authentic.IMO any collector that has any sense would not confuse these with the real deal,now that said, it would be a bad deal if an unexperienced collector bought these as authentic.I do agree with you tn mts that this guy should drill a kill hole in them or mark them somehow so as to not be confused with an authentic artifact.here is a link to this guys website :thumbsup:
http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/2007aprilroymillerpage1.htm

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
naturegirl said:
OMG! Eye candy for sure. BUT, could he do that well given the circumstances of, haven't eaten in a long time, living through a blizzard, not much game, ? You know, some of the circumstances the original knappers dealt with? Just wondering, never really thought about it before, thanks for the pic.

naturegirl
no i doubt old roy could produce these in a blizzard.lol.roy is a little modernized when he does excavate the flint he uses and how he gets the colors to come out in the flint from heat treatment.not sure if he is old school when he knapps them out.here is a link to his website that explains a little how roy makes these incredible reproductions.
http://lithiccastinglab.com/gallery-pages/2007aprilroymillerpage1.htm

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
NatureGirl said:
BUT, could he do that well given the circumstances of, haven't eaten in a long time, living through a blizzard, not much game, ? You know, some of the circumstances the original knappers dealt with?

For what it's worth, the Early Archaic in the area where most Dovetails were made is divided into the Plevna Cluster (of point types) and the Kirk Cluster.

The folks who made the Dovetails controlled the richest environments and the best flint sources. Which probably allowed them to mass-produce stuff with wide appeal for trade. (Another case of "the rich get richer").

The Kirk Cluster members, though, were typically poor folk living on the margins of prosperity and making do with whatever they could come up with.

So your description would really apply more to them.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt that Roy has some skill going on. How would you like to pull one like that out of one of your creeks ? That would be hard to explain. So the guy bought some land where the quarry was. I hear its great deer hunting there as well. Cool site Greg. Thanks

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
TnMountains said:
No doubt that Roy has some skill going on. How would you like to pull one like that out of one of your creeks ? That would be hard to explain. So the guy bought some land where the quarry was. I hear its great deer hunting there as well. Cool site Greg. Thanks
yea if i found something like that in a creek or anywhere,i probably wouldnt be happy about it.I would probably not hunt that spot again either just because i would never know what was really authentic.very good point.touchee.lol.he bought some property that is adjacent to the flint ridge state park where most of the quarry is,was kind of surprised that it was sold to him,i would think the state would have kept the whole site as part of the park.I have bow hunted in licking county and yes it is a great hunting area.actually i am going camping in licking county this weekend and plan on hitting some creeks with the kayak,maybe with some luck i will have some AUTHENTIC flint ridge artifacts to show when i get back.goodluck if you get the artifact boat out.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you find a bunch on your trip. I have a new spot I am dying to go dig. Its just hard to get too and will have to canoe in. Maybe next weekend. Might just go check my deer cameras and chill a water melon in the spring and have a cold one :occasion14: and study this years harvest.
Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions