1 site, 250 plus pieces, finally banned from this field due to construction!!

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville

Attachments

• SNB13658.JPG
    SNB13658.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 616
  • SNB13662.JPG
    SNB13662.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 609
  • SNB13667.JPG
    SNB13667.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 611
  • SNB13673.JPG
    SNB13673.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 620
  • SNB13680.JPG
    SNB13680.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 606
  • SNB13705.JPG
    SNB13705.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 569
  • SNB13702.JPG
    SNB13702.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 567
  • SNB13699.JPG
    SNB13699.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 561
  • SNB13696.JPG
    SNB13696.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 571
  • SNB13692.JPG
    SNB13692.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 593
  • SNB13686.JPG
    SNB13686.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 598
  • SNB13682.JPG
    SNB13682.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 610
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Treefrog

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
plus these pics too!

Attachments

• SNB13717.JPG
    SNB13717.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 549
  • SNB13719.JPG
    SNB13719.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 549
  • SNB13719.JPG
    SNB13719.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 546
  • SNB13706.JPG
    SNB13706.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 548
  • SNB13707.JPG
    SNB13707.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 551
  • SNB13717.JPG
    SNB13717.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 546
  • SNB13719.JPG
    SNB13719.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 560
  • SNB13717.JPG
    SNB13717.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 538

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Re: 1 site, 250 plus pieces, finally banned from this field due to construction!

That's what I'm talking about Treefrog. Guerrilla artifact hunting, hit and run tactics. Nice job saving some history that will soon be lost under a parking lot.

OP
OP
Treefrog

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
well no, i had permission when i got these. in a 3 month period while the owner was trying to sell this 41 acres he allowed me to hunt it after it was plowed. then all the great hard rain came after that just in time for me to turn on some hours of hunting. i was out in the rain even several days.
now the new owners are the ones not allowing ppl in there. i was ran out by the husband even after the wife gave me permission. but ow well i got what i could before it was ruined! never found finds like this ever that fast.

OP
OP
Treefrog

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
i went by there this weekend and saw like 3 cars parked out front and in 30 mins came back by and the owners were there running them all down
ive done been told 1 time face to face. plus the owners know me. so it would not do for me to be seen there again after that. they have moved like at least 2 feet of dirt with the earth movers. ive thought about trying it late at night with nightvision... kinda thought the infrared would bounce of the flint and not off the dirt to make them stand out. anyone ever try that?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1 site, 250 plus pieces, finally banned from this field due to construction!

Treefrog
Have so enjoyed your hunts and finds from this site. Its rare I get to see similiar items sorta close to me. You have got a great pure collection from one site. That now days is rare so dont mingle them and just think you get to name the site as it is now gone. What fun you will have studying them and putting the names and time frames to the culture.
Thanks for taking us along for the ride on that site, You done good. :thumbsup:
Look forward to your new finds as well.
Regards,
TnMountains

paleojoe

Mar 31, 2008
Nighttime might be a good option.Dorkfish and myself have tried it a few times.You would be surprised how well you can see. We used the L.E.D. lights. I got mine from Walmart for about 9 bucks.It has 4 lights in it,& it hooks on the bill of my hat. Good luck.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Treefrog said:
i went by there this weekend and saw like 3 cars parked out front and in 30 mins came back by and the owners were there running them all down
ive done been told 1 time face to face. plus the owners know me. so it would not do for me to be seen there again after that. they have moved like at least 2 feet of dirt with the earth movers. ive thought about trying it late at night with nightvision... kinda thought the infrared would bounce of the flint and not off the dirt to make them stand out. anyone ever try that?

I've tried using night vision without much luck. I've read and been told that using a black light is where its at. Supposedly the minerals/ inclusions really show up bright under a black light. I've never tried this, but would like too. I've had limited luck using a bright led headlamp at night, but it's tough. If you hold the led low at an angle it's easier but much harder on the back. I found a nice preform and a triangle at night, that's about it.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I hate to be the lone crumrudgeon in the group..or so it seems...but if you've been told to stay off the place I can't believe you would actually consider sneaking in there at night!! I understand where you are coming from and I hate to see the place covered up with all that history there but the fact is the new owners have made it clear they don't want anyone there. You MUST respect that and stay out unless you can talk them into giving permission. Sorry to have to say that but tresspassing could get you in legal trouble and it gives hunters of all kinds a bad name with the general public.

On another note, if you have some funds available maybe they would be open to your paying a small lease for the rights to continue hunting as long as no heavy equipment is being operated. Who knows maybe liability is their motivation for shutting you out???

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

archer66 said:
I hate to be the lone crumrudgeon in the group..or so it seems...but if you've been told to stay off the place I can't believe you would actually consider sneaking in there at night!! I understand where you are coming from and I hate to see the place covered up with all that history there but the fact is the new owners have made it clear they don't want anyone there. You MUST respect that and stay out unless you can talk them into giving permission. Sorry to have to say that but tresspassing could get you in legal trouble and it gives hunters of all kinds a bad name with the general public.

On another note, if you have some funds available maybe they would be open to your paying a small lease for the rights to continue hunting as long as no heavy equipment is being operated. Who knows maybe liability is their motivation for shutting you out???

Very good point and well made Archer. I concur might not be a bad idea to approach them in that capacity. But treefrog said that two feet had been removed during excavation so the spoils would be in following the dump trucks to the fill site. Which may be off site? And permission may be easier to obtain for that. Of course if it was just moved around and used as back fill its game over. I was a commercial Job Superintendant for many years and I did not like people all over my job sites either to much liability if you give permission.

DemonCatSpaceStar

Jan 1, 2009
People of the South Wind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If all else fails have you gone to the state archeological society & told them you believe it to have a campsite or something on that land? They might be able to come in & rescue some important artifacts before they are gone forever!

You might not get anything from that site anymore but it sounds like they've cut you off (& everyone else) & unfortunately progress & $$$$ outweighs history! :(

My two cents.

ps the stuff you did find is killer!

OP
OP
Treefrog

Treefrog

Apr 26, 2009
cookeville
well i thought about that, but they may be a future customer of mine soon so i dont wanna do anything that would mess up the business plans as well.
as for the dirt being removed, i looks like they are reusing it all over. the field is really hilly and they are filling in and removing the tops. those are what id like to see :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
archer66 said:

You are not the lone person on this. I'll be damned if we need more negative publicity for our hobby! >:(

Sites come and go. You have to be man enough to accept change, and enjoy what you can, when you can. The law does not take kindly to little children who think they can get their way illegally, and there is plenty of treasure left out there for everyone. Take a look at Today's Finds if you disagree.

Regards,

Buckles

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnMountains said:
But treefrog said that two feet had been removed during excavation so the spoils would be in following the dump trucks to the fill site. Which may be off site? And permission may be easier to obtain for that.

I have almost a 100% permision rate for following dump trucks. I always just ask the driver of the truck, and they don't care. In a city, this is more difficult--but it sounds like this is a rural area and should be no problem.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kind of site you dream about. I was thinking along the lines of DemonCatSpaceStar, but then I figured the state is not really going to get into it on private property with a private landowner. However, the new owners may fear that the state will shut down their operation if word gets out it has 'historical significance'. Maybe you can talk with them and find out, and assure them this is not your plan. It will be a great loss to history, but I respect the rights of owners of private property. Other than that, hire on with the construction company, and keep your eyes to the ground.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unfortunately there are probably thousands of sites like that in the area in which he hunts. The problem is moving the dirt to find them. He was on a very early period campsite. Only when they start finding pottery and graves do people even think of preserving and then its still not very common unless its on Federal or state land. Hundreds of ancient town sites with burials are plowed every year for agriculture. Its just the way it is and how we are able to collect. Like Buckleboy said sites come and go.
I give Treefrog credit for finding it in that short time and recovering what he could as quickly as possible. :wav:
In my humble opinion its a true artifact banner find for the sheer volume and time frame alone.
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread