What are the odds?

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I found the tip about three feet from the rest of the point. Didn't realize it was a match until later at home, I was stoked to say the least! The break looks pretty old too, has patina. It's kind of rough with a couple fire pops but I really like this personal find. 2nd piece is a red quartzite Savannah River hafted scraper or blunt tip. Not real sure what the third point is, last pic is some flake tools, have a good one.

Upvote 0
P

pickaway

Congrats on the match.I've been able to match 15 from one site together.Heres the last one I found about 10 ft apart, then layed on my deck for about a week before i realized they fit.
ooo.jpg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Field hunters love it when that happens, but diggers don't... Usually means they broke it.

I've had it happen with a couple of pieces (never anything really nice), one time a buddy found the tip about 5 years before I found the base.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats winning the lucky dog. What are the odds of that? I have never found the other half of anything but I am going to..some day. Nice finds 37 I had a decent weekend myself. Thank you for sharing that. You know what that real porous stuff is? I find some like that sometimes.

Regards,
TnMountains

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Thats winning the lucky dog. What are the odds of that? I have never found the other half of anything but I am going to..some day. Nice finds 37 I had a decent weekend myself. Thank you for sharing that. You know what that real porous stuff is? I find some like that sometimes.

Regards,
TnMountains

Hey Tn, I'm nearly positive it's red quartzite. A hunting buddy of mine calls it Rhyolite, but I think he's wrong. The stuff is everywhere around here, it outcrops as cliffs along some of the roads and rivers. I had a decent weekend myself, looking foward to seeing your finds, thanks for the comments.

appreciate the comments folks, nice match there pik , sweet ridge preform.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have said Argellite too. Easy way to tell : run water on it & clean with a toothbrush to get the dirt out of the little crannies. If only the dirt comes off, leaving the rest the way it was, it's quartzite. If you can see you're removing surface material along with the dirt, Argellite.

:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions