All of these found within a 50 foot area!

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Friday all. Charlie and I headed out early and discovered all of these items withing a stretch of approximately 50feet. I think it shows what a diverse and heavily utilized area that I am dealing with. Here we have another of my controversial glass points, a clay pipe stem, lost of flakes, a well worn white quartz point, a broken yellow quartz point, a knife, and even a railroad spike!! The railroad spike was actually protruding from the sand under water along the river. hmmmmm. We may get back out again for one last hunt today. Anyway.... thanks for looking and have a great and safe weekend.

Attachments

• Aug 14 mix.jpg
    Aug 14 mix.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 453
  • aug 14 wht 2.jpg
    aug 14 wht 2.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 454
  • Aug 14 wht3.jpg
    Aug 14 wht3.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 448
  • pipestem2.jpg
    pipestem2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 453
  • Pipestem1.jpg
    Pipestem1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 453
  • Aug 14 yel2.jpg
    Aug 14 yel2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 452
  • Aug 14 yel1.jpg
    Aug 14 yel1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 449
  • Aug 14 wht 4.jpg
    Aug 14 wht 4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 459
  • pipestem3.jpg
    pipestem3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 447
  • knife1.jpg
    knife1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 443
  • knife2.jpg
    knife2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 443
  • used flake.jpg
    used flake.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 432
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is todays white quartz after a bath.

Attachments

• Aug 14 cleaned.jpg
    Aug 14 cleaned.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 419

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can get a better pic of the glass points and why are they controversial?

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
See if you can get a better pic of the glass points and why are they controversial?

I will get a bunch of them onto the scanner this weekend. I am just bad at centering them and it takes me a long time hahah. They are controversial because most folks believe that they are not artifacts at all but rather trash and random broken glass that I am picking up. I disagree but understand why they believe that. First.... my cell phone photos do not depict the obvious consistent shape, worked/tapered base on many. Then... those who understand that glass was used by Indians, expect the points to look like Ishi or California points that were very beautiful and intricate in design. Mine are all from a summer fishing village site that was used for thousands of years and even my stone points range from the very ornate and beautiful white quartz long points, Yadkins, etc, to very rough Morrow Mountains and nameless fishing spear tips..... not to mention the rough and not so pretty scrapers and tools. My glass points are very consistent triangles or variations of triangles and are all on very very old glass. As I have always said.... the odds of broken glass form itself into repeated consistent shapes and ending up at a known Indian camp/village site are (in my mind) not even possible.

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
Airborne80, what makes you think they spear fished? I think that's a Hollywood thing, and everything I've ever read/heard was that they used box nets, throw nets, and weirs. Let's just assume they did; Don't you think a fish would just slip off of those points?

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoIll said:
Airborne80, what makes you think they spear fished? I think that's a Hollywood thing, and everything I've ever read/heard was that they used box nets, throw nets, and weirs. Let's just assume they did; Don't you think a fish would just slip off of those points?

I am not guessing here at all. I know they were spear fishing here. I have done a lot of homework regarding the history of my area. These pictures are historical descriptions of what took place here with respect to Indian Fishing. Note the spear fishermen in the background. The guys in the boat are using a night fishing method designed to lure the fish to the surface with the firelight. As for what kept the fish from falling off of the spear....... can't tell ya that. Having fished in this exact spot, I can say that it is shallow and if one person in the boat speared while another netted it would work. Also.... look again at the guys spearfishing in the background. As I say... its shallow and if you spear a fish you pin him between the spear and the river bottom. Know what I mean?

Attachments

• Idians Fishing.jpg
    Idians Fishing.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 313
  • Fishing Description.jpg
    Fishing Description.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 314
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoIll said:
I stand corrected.

No worries brother. It is a valid question and until I studied up on it.... I thought the same way. Thanks for looking at my post.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice colonial pipe stem and quartz points. We find a lot of rail road spikes also. Maybe an old crossing a 100 miles up river and it kicked a tie out with the spike and plate in it .Ties float. We used to chunk them in the river on occasion when building RR bridges in my misspent youth.
How many glass point have you collected now? Wonder if settlers were recycling the glass into fishing points? The pipe stem puts a new time frame on old man river. Colonial kids find arrowheads in that spot and make their own,,,, Friend just rebuilt a very old log cabin 1700"s. We found in one of the old chestnut logs a carving on an indian with a pipe and feathers in one of the logs. It was near the floor we figured a kid in his sleeping spot did it. May never know.

Regards,
TnMountains

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread