Found A Killer Today *New Pictures Added*

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting for about a hour this morning to a spot on the Ohio River I used to hunt years ago but haven't been to in a long time. The place I used to get down to the bank had lost it's staircase about 8 years ago and the bank was so grown up you couldn't get down, but I drove on down past that spot and found a house that had stairs down to the bank and they told me I could use them any time I wanted. I wish I had taken my camera, but I didn't and I regret it since I could have gotten a nice in situ picture.

This is the first Hard Stone Chisel I have ever found and man is it a dandy. It is pecked on about 7/8's of it's length and has great polish on the bit. There is some polish along the entire length and it is very smooth, but you can still see the peck marks on it. It is 5 1/4 inches long by 1 3/8 inches wide and it looks to be made of a dark blue Granite. I was hoping it was black Diorite when I first saw it because it looked black in the water, but it's not. It has just a little bit of recent damage on the poll end probably from banging the other rocks along the banks of the river.

Here's some pictures. I took a few inside and a few outside in the sunlight.

Attachments

• Chisel1.jpg
    Chisel1.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 3,448
  • Chisel2.jpg
    Chisel2.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 3,428
  • Chisel3.jpg
    Chisel3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,357
  • Chisel5.jpg
    Chisel5.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3,375
  • Chisel6.jpg
    Chisel6.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 3,324
  • Chisel7.jpg
    Chisel7.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 3,281
  • Chisel8.jpg
    Chisel8.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 3,240
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found A Killer Today

Thanks guys and gals. I appreciate the compliments and the nominations for the banner. I may have been mistaken on the material and it may be black Diorite after all. I took it to work with me last night after stopping by and showing it to Paleojoe and I was rubbing it down with oils from my skin and the stone turned a very deep jet black, just like Diorite. When I got home from work this morning I compared it to another piece I have made from Diorite and the material looks identical. On top of that I have a buddy who has one very similar to this one that came almost directly across the river on a Ft Ancient site we hunt and his is black Diorite so there is a possibilty mine was associated with that site as well.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!

Nice find, Dorkfish! Is it magnetic? Hematite? Strong work. Docmann

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007

Wonderful chisel...no sign of hafting so must have been used with a wooden maul. The river find suggests dug out canoe construction. You`re having a Banner Year, due to your persistence and love of the hobby. Great Find!

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio

here you go ohio the slate one i found in ne ohio and the hematite one my grandfather found in ne ohio
CIMG7294.jpg

CIMG7291.jpg

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool, I assume they chiseled wood with it rather than stone?

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE

WTG Dorkfish!!!! Congrats!!!! was just talking about getting another artifact posted on the banner and there ya go!! :thumbsup: :icon_thumright:

BW

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super piece.. congrats

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007

Jeff, nice examples. Not to take away from yours but, your dad's hematite example is really sweet. I have one that was given to me by a guy I collect fossils with. I need to dig it out.
Chuck

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for all the great replies guys and for voting me for the Banner. I really appreciate it.

Jeff, nice Chisels. My brother has a Hematite one that is very similar to yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread