Found A Killer Today *New Pictures Added*

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting for about a hour this morning to a spot on the Ohio River I used to hunt years ago but haven't been to in a long time. The place I used to get down to the bank had lost it's staircase about 8 years ago and the bank was so grown up you couldn't get down, but I drove on down past that spot and found a house that had stairs down to the bank and they told me I could use them any time I wanted. I wish I had taken my camera, but I didn't and I regret it since I could have gotten a nice in situ picture.

This is the first Hard Stone Chisel I have ever found and man is it a dandy. It is pecked on about 7/8's of it's length and has great polish on the bit. There is some polish along the entire length and it is very smooth, but you can still see the peck marks on it. It is 5 1/4 inches long by 1 3/8 inches wide and it looks to be made of a dark blue Granite. I was hoping it was black Diorite when I first saw it because it looked black in the water, but it's not. It has just a little bit of recent damage on the poll end probably from banging the other rocks along the banks of the river.

Here's some pictures. I took a few inside and a few outside in the sunlight.

Attachments

• Chisel1.jpg
    Chisel1.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 3,448
  • Chisel2.jpg
    Chisel2.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 3,428
  • Chisel3.jpg
    Chisel3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3,357
  • Chisel5.jpg
    Chisel5.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 3,375
  • Chisel6.jpg
    Chisel6.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 3,324
  • Chisel7.jpg
    Chisel7.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 3,281
  • Chisel8.jpg
    Chisel8.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 3,240
Upvote 0

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
Re: Found A Killer Today

steve,thats a killer piece,i like that it has polish to show how far back it sat in the haft

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009

Amazing piece you got there, wish they had that material and type of artifacts here where i hunt in tx. Not to say we don't have good artifacts, hahhaha. Congrats on the find, really cool.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007

Steve,
super find. I think it is really important to note just how uncommon these chisels are. THESE ARE NOT COMMON TOOLS......especially in comparison to celts and axes. If anyone else has one I would love to see it. Congrats on finding a super fine and rare stone tool! WOW!
Chuck

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2009
Austin T.X.

Sweet find...I have a very small one that look like the same stone type....Great day....Thanx for shareing

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Wow! It seems to me this is a banner find, if it's not found very often, and is one of our BASIC, timeless tools. I think banner!

naturegirl

Besides, we're about to lose our last artifact banner, so let's replace it with another.

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with Naturegirl--you've got another banner find, Dorkfish! You always find the best and most unusual artifacts!
regards~~sandcreek

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The old spots are always worth checking out. That chisel is very nice. I enjoy seeing how symetrical they were on the bits when they polished them out. I have never seen a chisel like that before. Great recovery. I bet you hit all your old spots again including that one. Congratulations.

TnMountains

paleojoe

Mar 31, 2008

The piece really is a nice find.He even made my day at work somewhat better when he came by and handed it to me. If only he had not taken it with him when he left......

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d

I've never seen one down here in Florida,or heard of one either...excellent find man! :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread