Greene county OH field find

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
I found this piece while walking my buddy's field and have always wanted to know something about it. I've been metal detecting for 30 years and occasionally spot a nice flint artifact. I feel this is the best find I've made. Is it a drill or knife? Can anyone tell me what culture and where the material likely came from? I'll appreciate any help.
Thanks, Steve

Attachments

• flint drill.jpg
    flint drill.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your pictures a little blurry, but from what I can tell it looks like it was more than likely a Knife since I don't see any polish along the edge of the blade like a Drill would have. It looks to be Coshocton Flint and as far as culture it's really hard to say since all cultures used Knifes like that.

OP
OP
daytondigger

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
DorkFish said:
Your pictures a little blurry, but from what I can tell it looks like it was more than likely a Knife since I don't see any polish along the edge of the blade like a Drill would have. It looks to be Coshocton Flint and as far as culture it's really hard to say since all cultures used Knifes like that.
Thanks, I kind of figured the form would have been used for a very long time. I always called it a drill but thought it likely to be a knife. I was thinking Coshocton flint based on other artifacts I've looked at. I appreciate it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets