Flake Tools
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    Jan 2009
    »»--------->
    224 times

Flake Tools

Hey folks, just wanted to start a collective post on the simple, yet essential part of the ancient toolkit. Often overlooked imo, everyday use tools. A couple of these are from the uniface collection. Post em if you got em.
    " Stay frosty, gents "

www.arrowheadtalk.com

us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    312 times

Re: Flake Tools

Super stuff, Thirty7

These are the only tools on flakes I have pictured at the moment -- the rest are on blades or are bifaces. Sorry the picture quality isn't better.

The first is retouched as a sidescraper all around the periphery except the right edge (striking platform).

The other picture is of two backed flakes from Kentucky (probably a knife or "ulu") and Ohio (scraper).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00199.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	326738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00226.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	326739  
    "[T]o silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." -- JBR Yant

us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    312 times

Nice !

Forgot this one -- a "D" or "Ear-shaped" knife. Resemblance to a modern sheepskinner is obvious.

Name:	DSC00210.jpg 
Views:	435 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	326743  
    "[T]o silence a man is to pay him homage, for it is an acknowledgement that his arguments are both impossible to answer and impossible to ignore." -- JBR Yant

us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    312 times

And these little paleos, I guess.

Name:	DSC00198.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	326744  

us
    Mar 2009
    379 times

So these are the prettiest of tools, right? I think so. And thanks for sharing those drawings thirty7, those are great.

naturegirl

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Garet carrot Neodymium magnets 5' Probe
    8800 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Stopped by that uni site and gathered a bunch of really cool uni tools Saturday. Threw my bait caster playing around caught two and ended up going fishing the rest of the day we slayed the Bass. Will try to post a few on your thread in the next couple of days. Nice finds and drawings.
    TnMtns
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Jan 2009
    »»--------->
    224 times

Interesting stuff so far, nice examples and materials there uniface. I like the big ear knife.

Here's a couple handfuls of Hopewell flake tools from Ohio, various grades of flintridge and one cosh or mercer one.

Appreciate the kind words ng, and tn. " So these are the prettiest tools, right? " They can be imo, there's something about the fine flaking on a simple flake. Those early guys sure liked the quality materials too and worked their spirit into many of them.

Glad to hear the bass are biting for you, let's see some of the unis you found Tn.
    " Stay frosty, gents "

www.arrowheadtalk.com

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    6071 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)

I deleted both posts so that should help you out.
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

us
    Mar 2008
    Mid Mo
    DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
    5 times

thirty7 you are one very good artist, that is probably the best way to study and learn what is done in the manufacturing of points and other artifacts. You have some very nice pieces. You make me want to go out to the creek right now, yesterday was my birthday party down at the watering hole and besides feeling like a train ran me over, my old lady got me a new a pair of waders. Thanks for all the great informative post. JYD...

us
    Sep 2007
    So. Cali
    Well,.Sometimes ?
    115 times

Thirty 7 ,.. Here’s a flake blade from N.W. Iowa . Its made from a green , corse-grain quartzite

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03083.JPG 
Views:	365 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	326974

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03067.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	326975

Had a hard time getting this one to “smile” for the camera ,... it has good/fair flaking all across the “top”face, just hard to get a pic of it ?? It’s nothing more then a large flake , but it has such a natural fit in the hand , with a bit of blade on top and all across the bottom .

Thirty 7 , did I miss a post about your sketches of your tools ? Saw a name on one of them ??W.V ? ,they look very well done ,.. Nice

Thanks ,.. Joel

us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    312 times

Tried taking some pictures for you, but the memory stick was full. Or memory card, or whatever it is. Have to get another one.

us
    Jan 2009
    »»--------->
    224 times

Quote Originally Posted by JUNKYARD DOG
    thirty7 you are one very good artist, that is probably the best way to study and learn what is done in the manufacturing of points and other artifacts. You have some very nice pieces. You make me want to go out to the creek right now, yesterday was my birthday party down at the watering hole and besides feeling like a train ran me over, my old lady got me a new a pair of waders. Thanks for all the great informative post. JYD...
    Appreciate the kind words JYD. I think it's a great way to study worked pieces of flint and the thought process that went into making them.....oh, and happy birthday!
    " Stay frosty, gents "

www.arrowheadtalk.com

us
    Jan 2009
    »»--------->
    224 times

Quote Originally Posted by blindpig

Thirty 7 ,.. Here’s a flake blade from N.W. Iowa . Its made from a green , corse-grain quartzite

Had a hard time getting this one to “smile” for the camera ,... it has good/fair flaking all across the “top”face, just hard to get a pic of it ?? It’s nothing more then a large flake , but it has such a natural fit in the hand , with a bit of blade on top and all across the bottom .

Thirty 7 , did I miss a post about your sketches of your tools ? Saw a name on one of them ??W.V ? ,they look very well done ,.. Nice

Thanks ,.. Joel

Thanks Joel, Nice big flake knife there, looks like a really handy tool. I know what you mean about getting good flaking shots of quartzite, it's tough. I had another sketch in my " Paleo uniface knife " post. Appreciate the kind words. regards, Ryan
    " Stay frosty, gents "

www.arrowheadtalk.com

us
    Mar 2007
    Samuel Watson's Old Place
    Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
    10 times

Thanks for sharing those pics. I learned alot from this thread.

us
    Jul 2009
    Missouri

Wow, beautiful tools Thirty7, Uniface and Blindpig!

Thirty7, your sketches are amazing! You have a gift that very few possess. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Happy Birthday, JYD! Hope you're feeling better today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links