Flake Tools

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Super stuff, Thirty7 :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

These are the only tools on flakes I have pictured at the moment -- the rest are on blades or are bifaces. Sorry the picture quality isn't better.

The first is retouched as a sidescraper all around the periphery except the right edge (striking platform).

The other picture is of two backed flakes from Kentucky (probably a knife or "ulu") and Ohio (scraper).

Attachments

• DSC00199.jpg
    DSC00199.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 436
  • DSC00226.jpg
    DSC00226.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 445

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice !

Forgot this one -- a "D" or "Ear-shaped" knife. Resemblance to a modern sheepskinner is obvious.

Attachments

• DSC00210.jpg
    DSC00210.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 464

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
So these are the prettiest of tools, right? I think so. And thanks for sharing those drawings thirty7, those are great.

naturegirl

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by that uni site and gathered a bunch of really cool uni tools Saturday. Threw my bait caster playing around caught two and ended up going fishing the rest of the day we slayed the Bass. Will try to post a few on your thread in the next couple of days. Nice finds and drawings.
TnMtns

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Interesting stuff so far, nice examples and materials there uniface. I like the big ear knife.

Here's a couple handfuls of Hopewell flake tools from Ohio, various grades of flintridge and one cosh or mercer one.

Appreciate the kind words ng, and tn. " So these are the prettiest tools, right? " They can be imo, there's something about the fine flaking on a simple flake. Those early guys sure liked the quality materials too and worked their spirit into many of them.

Glad to hear the bass are biting for you, let's see some of the unis you found Tn.

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
thirty7 you are one very good artist, that is probably the best way to study and learn what is done in the manufacturing of points and other artifacts. You have some very nice pieces. You make me want to go out to the creek right now, yesterday was my birthday party down at the watering hole and besides feeling like a train ran me over, my old lady got me a new a pair of waders. Thanks for all the great informative post. JYD...

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Thirty 7 ,.. Here’s a flake blade from N.W. Iowa . Its made from a green , corse-grain quartzite

DSC03083.JPG

DSC03067.JPG

Had a hard time getting this one to “smile” for the camera ,... it has good/fair flaking all across the “top”face, just hard to get a pic of it ?? It’s nothing more then a large flake , but it has such a natural fit in the hand , with a bit of blade on top and all across the bottom .

Thirty 7 , did I miss a post about your sketches of your tools ? Saw a name on one of them ??W.V ? ,they look very well done ,.. Nice

Thanks ,.. Joel

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Tried taking some pictures for you, but the memory stick was full. Or memory card, or whatever it is. Have to get another one.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
JUNKYARD DOG said:
thirty7 you are one very good artist, that is probably the best way to study and learn what is done in the manufacturing of points and other artifacts. You have some very nice pieces. You make me want to go out to the creek right now, yesterday was my birthday party down at the watering hole and besides feeling like a train ran me over, my old lady got me a new a pair of waders. Thanks for all the great informative post. JYD...

Appreciate the kind words JYD. I think it's a great way to study worked pieces of flint and the thought process that went into making them.....oh, and happy birthday!

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
blindpig said:
Thirty 7 ,.. Here’s a flake blade from N.W. Iowa . Its made from a green , corse-grain quartzite

Had a hard time getting this one to “smile” for the camera ,... it has good/fair flaking all across the “top”face, just hard to get a pic of it ?? It’s nothing more then a large flake , but it has such a natural fit in the hand , with a bit of blade on top and all across the bottom .

Thirty 7 , did I miss a post about your sketches of your tools ? Saw a name on one of them ??W.V ? ,they look very well done ,.. Nice

Thanks ,.. Joel

Thanks Joel, Nice big flake knife there, looks like a really handy tool. I know what you mean about getting good flaking shots of quartzite, it's tough. I had another sketch in my " Paleo uniface knife " post. Appreciate the kind words. regards, Ryan

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Wow, beautiful tools Thirty7, Uniface and Blindpig!

Thirty7, your sketches are amazing! You have a gift that very few possess. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Happy Birthday, JYD! Hope you're feeling better today. ;D

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Bluesy said:
Wow, beautiful tools Thirty7, Uniface and Blindpig!

Thirty7, your sketches are amazing! You have a gift that very few possess. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Happy Birthday, JYD! Hope you're feeling better today. ;D

thanks bluesy, really appreciate the kind words.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
ohio said:
Thirty7, great drawings. Have you done any points?
Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I finished three archaic bevels yesterday, and have done a few pages of quick sketches in the past. I took more time on these archaic points and tried to render them more accurately then the quick ones.

Dovetail, Cobbs, Thebes ( I restored the ear on my Thebes )

Attachments

• php0PU27UAM.jpg
    php0PU27UAM.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 268

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice items pieces and drawings. Here a few that were laying around. No large ones. I have yet to get the ones together or cleaned from the weekend. Tried to do the blank side first and then the tool side last. My pictures are kinda bad.
Thanks

Attachments

• 100_2136.JPG
    100_2136.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_2143.JPG
    100_2143.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 244

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread