Horse Hoof Core

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck trying to google this one for additional information :laughing7:

Three views of what is called a "Horse Hoof Core" from Kentucky ; probably Archaic era. TnMountains (if I remember correctly) found and posted a cracked nodule about this same size and a tool that was made from the other half of it, maybe a couple weeks ago.

As you can see from the cortex remaining on it, this was a cobble, initially reduced by bi-polar percussion (a fancy way of saying putting it on a heavy anvil stone and whacking it with another stone, to split it). The heavy rippling on the uniface side (bottom) is diagnostic of this procedure when the force used was excessive, as it tended to be.

From that point, flakes were driven off the top side as needed.

Curiously, the edges are distinctly worn and polished smooth, showing that cores in general could be, and were, used for secondary purposes as well. In this case, probably working a dry hide.

Material of this one (and, from what it looked like, the one TnMountains posted as well) is Sonora chert (var. hornstone).

Attachments

• DSC00319.jpg
    DSC00319.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 621
  • DSC00318.jpg
    DSC00318.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 465
  • DSC00317.jpg
    DSC00317.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 0

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Is this an example of bi-polar percussion? I wondered what caused the smooth ripples on this beautiful piece of rock. What does bi-polar mean?
split from one pole to the other? This is the biggest piece I've found with the cortex still on it. So far.

ng

Attachments

• core.jpg
    core.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 455

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tn Horse Hoof Core ?? Strange pitting or patina on the inside and side. Hey Uni. This is off that weird site where we find everything worked. I went through the stuff I picked up last weekend and this was one. Also got some large curved flakes that were re-worked, Crazy stuff I would have never bothered to pick up before your threads.
This one seems to have been used as is right?
Thanks
TnMtns

Attachments

• 100_2155.JPG
    100_2155.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 100_2161.JPG
    100_2161.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 340

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Never heard the term, always sponging up some knowledge round here. The term " core " always make me think of a chunk of material to drive flakes off of. It never occurred to me that they were also utilized into tools as well. The book you sent me and the info I've gathered has me seeing the differences.

That's a beautiful piece of material, all three are. Tn, the example uniface posted looks alot like the largest tool you sent me in the study bag. The only difference was yours was a biface, but still a core tool of some sort imo. Nice material too.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
Never heard the term, always sponging up some knowledge round here. The term " core " always make me think of a chunk of material to drive flakes off of. It never occurred to me that they were also utilized into tools as well. The book you sent me and the info I've gathered has me seeing the differences.

That's a beautiful piece of material, all three are. Tn, the example uniface posted looks alot like the largest tool you sent me in the study bag. The only difference was yours was a biface, but still a core tool of some sort imo. Nice material too.

Was that the split core uni was talking about that, you said you wanted to knock some flakes off of ,when I posted it? I have rocks all over the house. This is getting out of control !! lol

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
thirty7 said:

Was that the split core uni was talking about that, you said you wanted to knock some flakes off of ,when I posted it? I have rocks all over the house. This is getting out of control !! lol

lol, tell me about it man. I was talking about the largest scraper like tool in the bag with three other pieces. Uni was talking about your unflaked cobble you gave me, and how his horse hoof core looked like the unworked cobble. sorry this is confusing, lol.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:
btw I drove off a couple flakes from that half cobble. High grade translucent grey / green flint, really pretty stuff.
Hornstone. I have been trying hard to learn materials. I bet after deer season I will have to start all over again :dontknow:

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Egg-On-Face Admission :

On further examination and thought (that I should have done before posting about it) :

The end opposite the unusually smoothed working edge is narrowed on both sides. creating a crude but good-enough hafting area.

The part of the cortex nearest the worked part is unusually smoothed in a band running across the width of it.

It's an adze. Woodworking tool. Hafted for hollowing out logs into boats after charring.

Duh . . . :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread