• DSC_2644 (1280x851).jpg
    DSC_2644 (1280x851).jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 581
Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Good job Viking! If that creek was behind my house I'd be digging and sifting some high spots in the backyard. It's hard to be positive on id when you're looking at two heavily resharpened points. I'm really not sure of the first one, it looks to be a couple of resharpenings from drill form. Interesting piece. The second could be a nearly exhausted Kirk corner notch imo.

Good to see some more Va. types and materials. Are you in sw Va?

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first is a Otter Creek, the second I would say a Kirk, bases on the brewertons are wider than the actual point, as you see the aricules are worn, so the base wouldn't have been wider than the point, so a kirk, I would say..jmop.
Nice finds..

Molly.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
For what it's worth, Meadowwood points can run straight-sided like that for what seems like forever with a broken one. No way you can restore the broken tip of one so it looks right. Weirdly enough also, they can be left bevelled.

Problem with the second one is, the base &c is heavily ground. Neither Kirk nor Brewerton typically did this.

Who knows ?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to artifract heaven. Looks like you have some of it in your back yard. I do not know what they are not like the kirks I find??? These guys will help you.
Nice finds sir
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
theviking

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the welcome, and all the great info, i love this site. I am in N.W. Virginia and no need to dig,yet. All of the items from my first post were found on top of the ground near the house.
Thanks again Viking.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Molly said:
The first is a Otter Creek, the second I would say a Kirk, bases on the brewertons are wider than the actual point, as you see the aricules are worn, so the base wouldn't have been wider than the point, so a kirk, I would say..jmop.
Nice finds..

Molly.
i find many brewertons, the blades are typically smaller then the base due to resharpening,not all brewertons will have the wider base.brewertons actually become a different type depending on what stage in resharpening they are.a brewerton side notch becomes (after sharpening) a brewerton eared triangle.think you are correct on the otter creek,a heavily used/sharpened one,but imo that is not a kirk,its a tough one to id.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread