A few African Points

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
I had these pics on file so I will post these. A rock Buddy of mine knew a guy who periodically traveled over seas to get bags of these. Sadly the fellow was killed up in New York a couple years ago. These are some from him. I have a couple hundred as well as some Beads and Celts. Hope ya'll enjoy seeing them though the are not American. These are from the Sahara Desert Region. I could be more specific , but I don't have info in front of me.

Attachments

• DSC03382ax.JPG
    DSC03382ax.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC03386ax.JPG
    DSC03386ax.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC03389ax.JPG
    DSC03389ax.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 376
Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Sweet little neolithic points, glad you posted these. I really like the gem materials they used and the Sahara desert patina. That multicolored blade is fantastic. I've read a theory that some of these tiny forms were used as blowgun darts. Some people are pawning them off as western points and eccentrics at big prices, beware.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow
They are beautiful. What craftsmanship Roaddog. Almost like glass I can see why you like them. Sorry about your friend. Thanks for sharing.
TnMtns

OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Yeah I've heard people doing some underhanded things involving these points. These guys are taking off on their own though and value continues to go up.

Thanks TN. It's unbelievable how thin some of these can be.

I always like sharing pics.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I've got a couple similar pieces and what looks like the same material of a couple. Those guys sure did master fine pressure flaking and micronotching. You almost have to look at them with a magnifying glass to appreciate the knapping skill. Real nice pics btw.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those ARE beautiful points and I agree with the above Thank-You very much for sharing with us!

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove
it is amazing how much alike the african points are to the indian ones here and the ones in S America too. in Africa and also here not all are spear and arrow as used in a bow and arrow but are (if I remember the name right ) Atals it was a stick like thing with a cup on one end to hold the arrow or whatever it was called I can not remember. what it did was give a longer reach than a mans arm and throw with a much greater force. I think they was called darts. and could be anywhers from a foot to 6 feet long from what I have read so not all points are bow and arrow or spear. both africans and american indians used them.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Here's a few of my African neolithic points and blades. Figured I'd post them here instead of creating another thread on the subject, hope you dont mind Road dog.

Attachments

• phpmLeZdYPM.jpg
    phpmLeZdYPM.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 195
  • phpfAwqlYPM.jpg
    phpfAwqlYPM.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 186
  • php0Y7dUEPM.jpg
    php0Y7dUEPM.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 190

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thirty7 said:
Here's a few of my African neolithic points and blades. Figured I'd post them here instead of creating another thread on the subject, hope you dont mind Road dog.
those are killer 37,thx for letting us check those out.can you give us some info,like age& material??? :thumbsup:

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Those points came from an exposed Saharan site in nw Mali, there from the neolithic period 6500 - 8500 yrs ago. From what I've read about the time period the Sahara was actually quite favorable for life during neolithic times, with lakes between dunes that brought in many species of game. Thousands of these tiny points have been found in wind sheared dunes.

No idea on the material types, the ones I've got range from low grade cherts(similar to the shwag you'd find in N.A.) to some really exotic gem high grades. I was reading something about the other day that just blew my mind. I'll try an find it but they also worked with and made tools with " impactite " or desert glass formed by meteorites impacting the desert sand!

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I have quite a few of those little pretties, myself. Some very beautiful workmanship.

OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Great points 37. More pics the better. :headbang: There is a book out now for these points in case you did not have it already.

Nice points. I had a few from Saudi Arabia once, but a leutenent wanted to show them to a friend of his and I never got em back.
I have also heard of a LOT of points being sold as "Arkansas Nodena" and " Texas Perdiz" points are actualy from the Sahara. I cant figure it. Coming from the Sahara, they are intresting enough in their own right. :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread