Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went down to SE Utah since it's warmer and I needed to go someplace since I was on vacation. I walked a lot and took pics of a lot of sites. At only one site did I find lithic materials in close association with the pictographs. I found curvilinear style, Fremont, historic Ute, possible Anasazi, and Earl's declaration of love forever for Betty. Most of the sites BLM knows about, but some they don't. This is a lot of pics, but I took about a hundred, so I cut it down.

Attachments

• petro1.JPG
    petro1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 314
  • petro2.JPG
    petro2.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 321
  • petro3.JPG
    petro3.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 332
  • petro4.JPG
    petro4.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 330
  • petro5.JPG
    petro5.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 307
  • petro6.JPG
    petro6.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 316
  • petro7.JPG
    petro7.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 313
Upvote 0

crow12c

Aug 8, 2009
thats cool that their still there and none of them grave digging "for knowledge" fellows aint molested them. although it looks like someone tried to by that one pic. thanks for posting.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing that, I have blown it up to look at it. Amazing art work. What a thrill to see in person. Thanks a lot for sharing the great photographs Rginn.
HH
TnMountains

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I considered this petroglyph a map. There's about 85 or so dots between the man and coyote figure. I took these as steps and walked east. There was some rocks that were piled up. When I backtracked and went west, I wound up in front of a rock overhang that showed signs of human occupation. In the lower left hand corner of the pic, the top line approximates the course of the stream, which of course will change over the years. The bottom line is pretty much the same course the canyon rim takes. The rectangle or square at the left, which is hard to make out in the pic, corresponds with a box canyon, then the line pretty much follows the course of the canyon rim. I could be wrong and engagin in fanciful thinkin. I didn't find any Spanish gold or anything.

Attachments

• sevenmilemap.JPG
    sevenmilemap.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 293

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
RGINN,
Great photos! Good views of some excellent petroglyphs.
As I think I'd mentioned to you before, my son and I visited some areas of the OK panhandle and later, just over the border into Colorado, that had some interesting glyphs, nothing of that scope however. I've attached a single photo with image just behind us.
Again, great shots.
PS
Why aren't you vacationing down here in the mother land? We've got a few sites to see!
Doc

Attachments

• DSC09802(2).GIF
    DSC09802(2).GIF
    204.9 KB · Views: 298
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great horse pic, docmann. I've seen that in Ms. Farley's book, I'm pretty sure. It's a much different style than you usually encounter. The best thing about Utah is somebody with the government has taken the time to go all around and put up these little metal signs about a foot off the ground warning about messing with the site. Sometimes the sign is harder for me to spot than the rock art, but if I can find the sign I know I'm on to something. I made it to Oklahoma twice this last summer, but we always try to make it over to Moab at least once. It's like Texas without my Texan cousins. Here's pics of a rock shelter and tool sharpening marks. Or tally marks. Or Ogam writing, take your pick.

Attachments

• rs1.JPG
    rs1.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 234
  • rs2.JPG
    rs2.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 335
  • rs3.JPG
    rs3.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 222

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread