how do YOU choose what to display and how?

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Is it frustrating on choosing what pieces to choose to display? Do you only put whole pieces in your display, do you put pieces from certain areas in each display, do you only put certain types in your display, or do you put only flint, bone, tools, jewlery, points in thier own display? its starting to frustrate me on what to choose, lol. or what if you have only enough for one good display, do you wait till you build your collection up to start another? I would love to hear everyones opinion on how you display your stuff, and if you have the time some pictures would be great, Dorkfish, you are exempt because you will overwelm us with your displays :D jk

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a good size artifact room that I'm sure most of you have seen and I try to display anything I can ID. If it's a tip or a really badly damaged piece it goes into a box from that site, but if it's identifiable it gets displayed somewhere, either in a tray or on a shelf. I try to keep everything from the same site in each tray, especially the Ft Ancient sites. I will mix in Points, Beads, Bone Tools, Scrapers, etc. in each tray as long as it's from the same site. I guess it just comes down to preference. I know guys who will only display the same types of thing together, like one tray of all Beads, one of all Drills, etc. I never did like doing that myself.

Here's a few pictures of my room showing the cases and shelfs I use.

Pictures005.jpg

Pictures012-1.jpg

ShowcaseWithAntlers.jpg

Pics-442.jpg

Pictures013.jpg

Pictures006.jpg

Pictures007.jpg

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The question that arises in my mind is, display for whom ?

Not having people coming by to look at the artifacts (and being reluctant to draw attention anyhow), display frames, here, are to keep the cats from playing soccer with the scrapers, and the dust off them. :laughing7:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The question that arises in my mind is, display for whom ?

I display for my own enjoyment. That way I can go out at any time and check out my collection. I also have a few friends and family that stop by ocassionally. But mostly I do it just for me.

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I just made my 1st display, with everything I've found this summer. I plan on making another when I get enough for another frame. Already got a good start, should have enough for a "fall display" soon. I labeled this "Summer 2009". I have these all velcroed in so i can still take them out when I want a closer look.

Attachments

• Picture 330.jpg
    Picture 330.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Picture 330.jpg
    Picture 330.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 391

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great topic chong and great show Steve and All_Atv. Before I came to T-Net I just framed stuff in all the old screw in or lock frames.
But..... since I have met all you fine artifact hounds the normal has changed. I started hunting again. Every case is open and the stuff is everywhere. Its a mess !! Not only do I have recent finds but stuff I found as a kid 40 years ago (kid age 10). My office is overflowing to several rooms. Reverting to the kid again.
I like what Dork did and why. I like to just look at the stuff and pick it up to. In the frames I could not do that. Have been looking for some type of antique oak cabinets with lots of drawers. Maybe some kind of specimen cabinets?
Bad thing is this is just one collection of several :help:
HH
TnMtns

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I'm kinda like TnMtns, when I started, I tried to display everything in cases and ended up with too many cases for my display room...I like to fondle my flint, chirt and obsidian, I know it sounds a bit perverted, but I want to hold a piece and examine it. I now have flint all over the house, almost glad that I'm single, can't eat off the kitchen table for all the points on it, can't use the coffee table for the same reason... Chong, to get back to question, display them the way that pleases you, it is all up to you...

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve's displays are the best, he can fondle them when he's alone... ::)

It's ashame to box artifacts up, so the glass cases are a great idea..

Molly. ;D

P

pickaway

Frames,Shelves,Boxes here. I only frame the best.I do have brokes in Rikers frames sorted by site found...

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Yes i agree the room and displays Dorkfish has, and i too have flint all over the place, i also love holding just random pieces and looking at the small flaking patterns. After seeing a case Bill brought out, I think i am going to be going with that style, one where i can eaisly open when i want to observe a artifact, as to what is going to go inside them, i am going to put a mixture of paleo/archaic, and woodland/pottery era. I think this would be neat since when i usually see displays locals have put together, its just a whole bunch of points mixed contexts. If i was to ever show off, i would like to just say, these are all 200ad-1200 ad and so on. Ill post pics soon as i get my display done, just looking 4 a good sale now :)
you all should post some more pics also to hekp others

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
actually hobby lobby has them 50% off now till the 17th, so you shall see it soon :)

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
While we can't compete with Mr. Dorkfish there. (Nice collection by the way.) We have few wall frame's and we bought some of the large glass display cases,(that they dispaly jewlery in), from a walmart that was remodeling one time. We try to display them by condtion. The completely whole ones in one case, the less broken in another, and so on. Tools and large items in the big glass case's. We also have a frame of our favorite finds whether broken or whole. Then the ones that don't make it in to cases or frames we put in the little plastic tackle boxes with the plastic dividers(to keep them from futher damage).

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Steve's displays are the best, he can fondle them when he's alone... ::)

It's ashame to box artifacts up, so the glass cases are a great idea..

Molly. ;D
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing9:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Personal finds mostly get sorted site, but the better examples are usually in a large glass case that goes with me to shows...

Purchases are sorted by type or material.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
It's all personal preference imo. I put together site frames, state frames, material frames, type frames,and time period frames. Here's a couple of mine, first one is a flint ridge material frame, the second is a state types frame from Pa. I think there are many here who could compete with dorkfish, but probably choose not too, you know not showing all your cards is always a safe move. Learning experience and friendly conversation between collectors is the way I look at it. Collection competition is for egomaniacs imo.

Attachments

• phpQH62NGPM.jpg
    phpQH62NGPM.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 247
  • phpbtHSQePM.jpg
    phpbtHSQePM.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 231

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow !! Everyone on here seems to have a bunch of nice displays. You guys could have a traveling artifact show. No wait thats why we are here,,right?
Nice shows
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread