Are these just flakes or could some be tools?

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been reading all these posts on here about uniface tools and I am trying to figure out if any of these pieces could be considered tools? We find lots of big pieces that have a raised "ridge" and it looks like they could have been used for a quicky scraper? or knife? You can see flaking on the edges of some of them and most are just worked on one side.
I always thought an artifact needed to be worked on both sides or it was just another piece of "flint"......but since Uniface has been "educating" me ;D with his posts, I'm trying to be more open-minded when looking at some of the things I find.
And if these aren't anything, well that's okay too :thumbsup:..
Thanks for looking!
sandcreek

Attachments

• IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 426
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pickaway said:
Probably some tools in there, on the right 3rd 1 down looks like a scraper.Look for edgework on the pieces.Thats a nice material what is it?
Pickaway--most of the stuff we find is Kay County chert. (At least that's what I think it is). We find a lot of Foraker(foracre) chert, too. Most all of these have some form of edgework.
Thanks for the help!
sandcreek

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Artifact hunters look for worked edges. Things that look knapped. I can assure you, if it had a sharp edge, it was used as a tool for cutting or scraping. Unlike the most of us, they didn't waste anything.
Nice finds. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Artifact hunters look for worked edges. Things that look knapped. I can assure you, if it had a sharp edge, it was used as a tool for cutting or scraping. Unlike the most of us, they didn't waste anything.
Nice finds. :thumbsup:
Thanks RPG! A couple of these pieces are really small(one is about the size of a nickel) but you can see a flaking/knapped pattern on one side. Its got to be a tiny scraper.
regards,
sandcreek

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uniface said:
Many of those were tools, Sandcreek4. Some flake tools, others utilized flakes.

Neat stuff, IMO :headbang:
Good deal, uniface! I knew you'd be the one to tell me if they were!(not knocking anyone else, though ;D). I've really been trying to pay attention to even the smallest flakes to see if they've been worked or could have been a tool!
Thanks for your help!
sandcreek

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandcreek4 said:
uniface said:

Good deal, uniface! I knew you'd be the one to tell me if they were!(not knocking anyone else, though ;D). I've really been trying to pay attention to even the smallest flakes to see if they've been worked or could have been a tool!
Thanks for your help!
sandcreek
I know Uni has us picking up every flake now :icon_scratch: Way to save some pretty dtudy stuff.

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
sandcreek4 said:
uniface said:

Thanks for your help!
sandcreek
I know Uni has us picking up every flake now :icon_scratch: Way to save some pretty dtudy stuff.
TnMountains~~we pick everything up and bring it home ;D,(just in case!). And your right it is good "study" stuff.
stwcreek said:
:thumbsup:WOW All paleo!
Thanks stwcreek!
regards,
sandcreek

Nigel Tufnel

Sep 25, 2009
SOUTH Austin, Texas
I am a greenhorn when it comes to hunting. I, too, have found uniface's posts to be extremely helpful. Some of those appear to be great finds!! One thing that has helped me when seeking advice from this forum is trying to limit the number of objects per picture. Initially I posted 25+ objects and the pictures simply did not convey the necessary details that these guys have to see. Then I picked out some pieces that I thought were authentic artifacts and received an enormous amount of help.

I hope that helps and congrats on some fine scores!!

OP
OP
Charmin

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nigel Tufnel said:
I am a greenhorn when it comes to hunting. I, too, have found uniface's posts to be extremely helpful. Some of those appear to be great finds!! One thing that has helped me when seeking advice from this forum is trying to limit the number of objects per picture. Initially I posted 25+ objects and the pictures simply did not convey the necessary details that these guys have to see. Then I picked out some pieces that I thought were authentic artifacts and received an enormous amount of help.

I hope that helps and congrats on some fine scores!!
Thanks Nigel! I might have overloaded the pictures a little bit :-[ ;D, but I wasn't even sure if these were tools or just big flakes.
Tnet is the best place with the friendliest people who are always willing to help!
regards,
sandcreek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread