Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What time of the year do you find the most artifacts? Here in Tennessee its Febuary after Deer season to mid summer. The water is still on winter draw down on the rivers.They lower it many feet. The fields are going to a no till and being drilled but some ole timers still plow in the spring. The rock shelters are snake and bug free. So here its say Febuary till say August. This year we have been under water.
I imagine out west maybe its in the winter??
Just curious post your state and times it may help fellow hunters as well. :icon_sunny:
Happy Huntin
TnMountains

Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
When I used to be able to hunt stuff, the first good rain after planting, and right around income tax time, when the corn stubble was mostly gone and the snows/rains of winter had exposed as much stone as was ever going to be sticking out and ploughing/planting was still a week or so away.

One year ('95 ?) was a long drought though -- the fields got so wind-deflated I was finding stuff in parts of fields where I never had found anything and never would again.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I sure have a couple of rock shelters I have been very curious about investigating. Rattlesnakes also enjoy these sites, however, so when a nice cold "norther" blows in I'll be there. Long about late Jan., Feb., early March. Brown County, Tx.
Good post, TN.

BW

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In hunting any species weather is always a factor. Sometime bad weather can make a better hunt. It seems that artifacts are no diffrent just a diffrent species. Bad weather kicks them out or the flood will wash away who knows what? A good freeze and the ground heaves up rocks. :hello:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine used to be from late October to early summer back when the farmers in area would roll their fields right after they harvested and let them set all winter. Now most of them either plant winter wheat or they don't touch them at all so it's usually not until around the end of February until around then end of June or the first of July when the crops get to high. After that I hit the river bank and the dig site.

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
I would say deer hunting season is a bad time here in East Texas . We like to go when ever we can . Starting in Feb. ending around June is one of the best times to go. Then it starts getting pretty hot. Then again around Aug. to Oct. is good for us, too. But over the years we have built up enough sites were we can arrowhead hunt year round . Kicking the snakes to the side , taking plenty of water and with- standing the heat . LOL :tongue3:

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fall/Winter is my favorite time of year for artifact hunting here in Okla. That's when we don't have to worry about the creepy, crawly things! Those old snakes go back to their dens and we can tromp around all we want. I love walking through the woods and along the creeks, hearing acorns drop from the trees, deer blowing or stomping at ya, squirrels chattering or running through the underbrush, its all GOOD when the weather turns cold :icon_thumright:.
regards,
sandcreek

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if I did not deer hunt I would hunt arrowheads and metal detect more in the winter. When we hit the rivers starting in Febuary everything is frozen and iced but we still like going. Just have to be careful in a boat on the water with low levels. We lost some good arrowhead hunters in a river quiet a few years back.
Safe Hunts !
TnMtns

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My main time of the year is from, November to the end of April.

I find alot of artifacts through the winter.

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
I live in southwest Georgia. My best times are in the spring when the land is turned and we have a good rain. Although my best times are in the spring I hunt year round.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
ALL YEAR LONG....5th generation Floridian and live in central Fl. just dont like to dive in the winter time, thats the best time for digging, no mosquitos

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it looking like fall and spring overall are the best season with all of us wanting to hunt all the time if we can !!! :sign13: Not bad on here for all eye ball finds (no metal detector). :laughing7:
I think its like the holy grail of hunting in America. You get to hunt the oldest possible man made finds in the USA. No high dollar equiptment to enjoy it. The season is open year round. You get to learn along the way. Very cool.
Have a great season.
TnMtns

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Winters here in north Fla are good to hunt the beaches because the tide goes way further out & stays there for longer. Hurricane season is good too, if we get a good tropical system to pound the beaches THIS YEAR SUCKED ASS!! But then again, all year long is good here, since it doesn't get too cold and in the summer, when it's hot as balls, there is always a nice cool body of water to cool off in. Anytime after a good a storm hits is a good time to check, but depends on which way the storm was blowing. It could suck out the sand a couple of feet deep and several yards up the beach on one site and cover another in a few feet.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Anytime I get vacation is my favorite time to hunt... In Northern Indiana Spring used to be the best (the fall deep plow really turned the soil, the freeze/thaw in winter broke down the clods, and a decent spring rain would leave nice clean in situs.) It wasn't uncommon to spot finds from several rows away. Now it's fall after harvest, and you are looking in the stubble for an edge or something, not too many laying out flat anymore.

In Kentucky, I liked Jan/Feb, but during the summer the creeks flooded and dropped a couple times a month, so creeking was better then.

Now I'm in South Florida and I haven't figured it out yet...

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends where you hunt. Fall can be a pain, so many leaves resemble arrows. Winter the ground can be too hard to hunt on. I would say spring is a good time to hunt but, like I said depends what state you hunt in. Summers been a killer here in FL, I can't hunt in 95 degrees. So I'm looking forwards to winter, 70's-80's. I sure miss NC.

Molly.

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Hard to say... I love the cooler weather and rain we've been having here in central TX, but I also liked the drought we had before the rain; the lake was so low i was finding artifacts right and left. Now that there's rain I don't know which is better. All the sand and silt is being washed away as the lake gradually fills, but in the process artifacts are being uncovered from the erosion and runoff. Damn, gotta itch my head on that one.. I still like the cool weather, to hell with the 100 degree heat..

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I hunt in Central Ky. I hunt in the spring from the first plowing until the tobacco gets too tall to walk in. I find a few in the fall after the tobacco is harvested, but find most of the artifacts in the spring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions