Mineralized Bone Tools

Beuwulf

Sep 15, 2008
VA/MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Since it was such a crappy day for hunting figured I'd post these, We've had these for some time but have never posted them. Most of the black or dark ones are mineralized fossil bones. The lighter colored tan ones are probabaly not fossil. One of the neat things about them is the way they sound when you pick up several at a time, they ring with a metalic sound. They would make great Wind Chimes.

The rock seems to be an abrading stone, if anyone knows different please let me know.

Enjoy!!!!

Attachments

• Bone tool 1.jpg
    Bone tool 1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 512
  • Bone tool 1a..jpg
    Bone tool 1a..jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Bone tool 1b.jpg
    Bone tool 1b.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 467
  • Bone tool 1c.jpg
    Bone tool 1c.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 473
  • Bone tool 1D.jpg
    Bone tool 1D.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 471
  • Bone tool 4.jpg
    Bone tool 4.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 495
  • Bone tool 5.jpg
    Bone tool 5.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 463
  • Bone tool 9.jpg
    Bone tool 9.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 475
  • Bone Tool 8.jpg
    Bone Tool 8.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 458
  • Bone tool 7.jpg
    Bone tool 7.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 458
  • 10-16-09 007.jpg
    10-16-09 007.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they fossils"? Pretty cool. You think they were some type of tools?

OP
OP
Beuwulf

Beuwulf

Sep 15, 2008
VA/MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
TnMountains said:
Are they fossils"? Pretty cool. You think they were some type of tools?

Yes, there are several different types in the mix, awls, picks, digging sticks mostly but the ones that have grooves squarely cut or show signs of abrasion probably indicate they were used for sharpening or shaping. Most are are very dense due to the mineralization making them more like a Stone Bone. They were all found along a mile stretch famous for (Miocene) sharks teeth. Over the last 3-4 years We have probably collected close to a bushell basket of whale and other mammal bones from there in addition to the several thousand shark teeth, to bad sharks don't have bones we could have put a museum exhibit together. Also there was a Yacomaco Ossuary (sp?) not a half mile away. Lots of cultural items remain in the area.

thirty7, the abrader is one of my favorites, it's unique.

Tylocidaris

Aug 4, 2009
Upper Cretaceous of Texas
Man, I don't want to rain on your display...really. I've seen hundreds of pounds of mineralized bone fragments, which probably means nothing to anyone but me. However, most of your photos are of erosion worn, mineralized, fossil bone fragments that are very cool in their own right. Given where you found them, and their age (probably Pleistocene or Miocene), the likelihood of even one of the Pleistocene-aged pieces being a "tool" is like winning the lottery (maybe greater). Their worn character further diminishes the possibilities of identifying something as one of the "lottery winning" tools. Research the age of these time periods and you'll realize there were few to no humans there at those times. Yet, something else cool to know, is that the 4th and 5th pics appear to show a worn claw "core". You may want to post pics of it in the Fossil board. Besides the fragments of ribs and limb bones, I'm not sure of the last item from just one photo...it may be another nice fossil. With all due respect.

John

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tylocidaris said:
Man, I don't want to rain on your display...really. I've seen hundreds of pounds of mineralized bone fragments, which probably means nothing to anyone but me. However, most of your photos are of erosion worn, mineralized, fossil bone fragments that are very cool in their own right. Given where you found them, and their age (probably Pleistocene or Miocene), the likelihood of even one of the Pleistocene-aged pieces being a "tool" is like winning the lottery (maybe greater). Their worn character further diminishes the possibilities of identifying something as one of the "lottery winning" tools. Research the age of these time periods and you'll realize there were few to no humans there at those times. Yet, something else cool to know, is that the 4th and 5th pics appear to show a worn claw "core". You may want to post pics of it in the Fossil board. Besides the fragments of ribs and limb bones, I'm not sure of the last item from just one photo...it may be another nice fossil. With all due respect.

John

Yes if you place the pictures in fossils maybe fossis or some of those guys will have some new ideas for your very cool bones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread