Stemmed Kirk from Today

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Decided to check out a pond that was drained recently by a gas drilling company. I found a stemmed Kirk that is barely over 2" long and 1/4" thick. My guess on the material is gray Coshoctan. If anyone from can confirm, please comment. One side has a huge reduction flake that covers 1/4 of the surface, and I'm not sure if that is the result of resharpening.

Attachments

• Insitu_10_18_09.jpg
    Insitu_10_18_09.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 437
  • Obverse_10_18_09.jpg
    Obverse_10_18_09.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 437
  • Reverse_10_18_09.jpg
    Reverse_10_18_09.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 439
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and pictures. Beautiful point.
HH
TnMtns

TripleCreek

Jan 27, 2009
Mid Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro- DeLeon
Rich,

Beautifull point !!

The matierial looks like an off color Jasper to me. Look at the lower right portion of the, large reduction flake side, and you can see some of the regular jasper, (taffy color) showing trough.

IMO, the large flake was an early "reduction flake" that was "covenintly" two deep to remove with later finishing flakes. If you look at the edge from which the flake originated, you can see that it does not have an orientation point that would relate to the finished edge. From the wide base of the flake, it would suggest that it happend much earlier in the knapping process. (this is of corce all estitics, fuction is not enfluence at all by this flake)

Nice find.

Best Regard,
3creeks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread