Found on the Colorado River, TX a couple months ago, what ya think???

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
First off this is the only piece that I have like this, and the only one I think I will find like this. One, I know it has been worked by an Indian. Two, I think it's a chopper of some sort. It's really interesting in that it has three strikes along one side of the coble to make the work end like a cleaver. It fits perfect in the hand, and on the other side there has been an area of the coble that has been chipped out and then smoothed for the thumb for better grip. I could use this today to split bones or chop at wood. I think it is an early piece... If you guys have anything similar to this one let me know and please post similar pics. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks and happy hunting.

Attachments

• cob1.jpg
    cob1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 448
  • cob2.jpg
    cob2.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 449
  • cob3.jpg
    cob3.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 598
  • cob4.jpg
    cob4.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 452
  • cob5.jpg
    cob5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 434
Upvote 0

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
IMO, It might have been "checked" or tested for knapping. I've found spals similar to yours that for one reason or another they never continued working it. It might have been a smasher as you've stated.
Newt

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it might be that, assuming it's deliberately (rather than naturally) this way, what they wanted was the flakes they removed from it rather than to use it for something.

It's possible also that this is what's called a "tested rock" -- one with a few chips removed to see what it was like inside.

If it had been a chopping tool (even a one hastily knocked out), it would more likely have had an edge worked into it with the removals converging. These removals are side-by-side.

OP
OP
A

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
Yep, the first thing I thought was the coble was being tested b/c I found it near a quarry site along with other tested coble, but it was different to me. I am not sure, maybe it was used as a cleaver or chopper, who knows. All I know is that it's got a good fit in the hand. When you find something like this, it's a big "I don't know, ???", then all of a sudden your imagination starts to fill with all these wonderful uses it could have served for different purposes, hahahha. Thanks for your opinions ya'll keep em coming if ya have anyhting to add.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Yep they were testing it. What section of the Colorado did you find it on, I found several large flint nodules the other day south of Marble Falls.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i dont think the back side is worked for grip just natural.it is worked on other side

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread