Kentucky Overview

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
For the information junkies among us : the Kentucky Heritage Council has posted the entire Volume I of the revised (2008) soup-to-nuts overview of Kentucky's archaeological history. (Previously there had been a much shorter version).

Since I can't (computer semi-literate) post a direct link to it, Google up THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF KENTUCKY: AN UPDATE. The second listing (2008) is the one you want. Coverage of Paleo stuff starts around page 116 or thereabouts. Lots of new details and -- importantly (IMHO) an illustration of Early Paleo Tools (Scrapers and a Limace). NB: Large in size (2 - 4") and worked up-&-over (!).

Made my day :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Hope it makes yours !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Nothing can ever be simple though, it seems.

The caption under fig. 3.5 identifies these tools as Early Paleoindian.

The reference to them in the text however ID's them as Middle Paleoindian. :icon_scratch:

Should have caught that the first time. Excirement'll do that to you :laughing7:

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
An example of a tool (a strongly spurred endscraper) very similar to the one illustrated in the revision except, although pretty large (as the Early Paleos are said to have been), smaller than the one in the illustration. From Christian County, Ky. ; probably (?) Ft. Payne chert.

Attachments

• DSC00354.JPG
    DSC00354.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 164

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread