indian stone tools and a cavemans club?????

treasurehuntr2

May 21, 2006
san francisco, ca.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
indian stone tools and a caveman's club?????

I don't know. It just looks like all the ones I've ever seen pictured. The place for a tie is etched out at the appropriate place on the stone that has the flat area placed the direction for "pounding". The tool itself seems to have been intentionally "cut" where there were two kinds of stione ammassed together, the harder of the two intended to be the flat area for doing the pounding. And I don't know what kind of stone this part is , but it's black and HARD!! Alnost like metal. Oh and there does appear to be wear on this flat black side as if it has done some kind of hitting or hammering. I could be nuts but I really think that's what this is!!! The rest I'm fairly sure are indian tools or weapons. I live in S.F, and plan on taking them all to the UC Berkeley archeological department soon. They have a very good program and museum there. Anyway, hope my excitement isn't way ahead of itself. Just wanted to share "the possibilities" Any knowledge about any of them I very grateful for....

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,326
  • IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,158
  • IMG_1680.JPG
    IMG_1680.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,912
  • IMG_1682.JPG
    IMG_1682.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,081
  • IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 10,492
  • IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1713.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,038
  • IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 2,036
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,438
  • IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 2,075
  • IMG_1688.JPG
    IMG_1688.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 3,738
Upvote 0

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Re: indian stone tools and a caveman's club?????

I am certainly glad that Dorkfish said it first...I was gonna say that I thought you would be sadly disappointed, they look like geofacts to me...sorry

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sorry, but just a broken rocks......Mother nature forms billions and billions of pointed, and or odd shaped rocks...... Sincerely hope you have better luck next time. :icon_thumright:

My comment below is meant in general, and not directed at you or anyone in particular....

Every pointed piece of flint, or odd shaped rock that fits in a hand is not an artifact.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do not be bummed out. Everything you picked up looked like it should have been something. You are doing a good job in recognising the possible shapes. Thats a great start. I have been collecting many years and can not tell you how many rocks I have brought home to only learn later they were nothing.
Here is a good guy and thread. Contact him on his post I think he is still sending out some artifact study sets for free or maybe the cost opf shipping. Holler at him its a fun journey and do not get discouraged and keep posting whatever ya find.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,271258.0.html
Happy Huntin
TnMountains

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TnM is correct, training the eye to see potential artifacts is the key, I have hunted with some people I was trying to teach and watched them walk right over a nice point, if it had been a snake it would have bit them..................I found a really nice knife in the boot print of someone who beat me to a muddy field along a creek after it rained when I was hunting in Missouri.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
TnM is correct, training the eye to see potential artifacts is the key, I have hunted with some people I was trying to teach and watched them walk right over a nice point, if it had been a snake it would have bit them..................I found a really nice knife in the boot print of someone who beat me to a muddy field along a creek after it rained when I was hunting in Missouri.

Lol I took a dude this summer and was watching in front of him a piece of flint as he approcahed I saw it was a very nice knife. I thought he would see it. I kept watching him and before I could say anything he stood right on it. I was embarassed to tell him to raise his foot for his very first artifact !!! He ended up focusing on all the old pottery jugs in the creek after that. I suggested a METAL DETECTOR TO HIM !!!! :laughing7:
Keep huntin ! Contact the guy above in the that link.

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009

Like TN said, lets not get bummed out, an Indian might have picked that up to smash a skull of a bison or some type of game to get to what they needed. The plain fact is, we don't know, ???? It is hard to seperate the facts at first, but none of us are Pros; well, some may have degrees in Geology, or Anthropology, etc.. We only have opinions. Keep it real, and if you find anything else please post. We all are learning here.

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009

Oh, the one pic on the bottome draws my suspicion. That's all I'll say

OP
OP
treasurehuntr2

treasurehuntr2

May 21, 2006
san francisco, ca.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

abarnard said:
Oh, the one pic on the bottome draws my suspicion. That's all I'll say
Thank you all for making the bitter pill less difficult to swallow. I will trudge on with my head held high....... I mean .......uhhhhh ...... level and upright......I mean...... so I can still see the ground....... I just KNOW there's one out there for treasurehuntr2, Even though I'm not one to give up, your kind comments have helped to keep my confidence intact. Happy huntin'!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

abarnard said:
Like TN said, lets not get bummed out, an Indian might have picked that up to smash a skull of a bison or some type of game to get to what they needed. The plain fact is, we don't know, ???? It is hard to seperate the facts at first, but none of us are Pros; well, some may have degrees in Geology, or Anthropology, etc.. We only have opinions. Keep it real, and if you find anything else please post. We all are learning here.

Sorry, no offense, but picking up a rock to smash open a single skull, or thrown at a wild turkey doesn't make the rock used or thrown an artifact. An artifact is something made or worked by man to be used for a paticular purpose. A big rock broken into little rocks and thrown at a quail is still a bunch of little rocks.

Webster....
" man-made object taken as a whole. '

Merriam-Webster.....
" something created by humans usually for a practical purpose; especially : an object remaining from a particular period <caves containing prehistoric artifacts> b : something characteristic of or resulting from a particular human institution, period, trend, or individual."

Good luck on your next hunt......... :icon_thumright:

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009

Yeah treasure Hunter, I got the idea. I am just trying to cheer everyone up here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No offense meant, and not trying to burst anyone's bubble or discourage anyone at all.

I have seen some who had a collection full of natural shaped pointed rocks, and was only trying to get people to look for the real thing and not waste a lot of time or get caught up in picking up every pointed or odd shaped rock and trying to reason it into an artifact, when that time could be better spent looking for artifacts.

Good luck to all.. :icon_thumright:

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio

we are all beginners at some point, and believe me, i have a rock garden full of stuff i just cant throw away. good luck :thumbsup:

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

Treasure_Hunter said:
im sure you have walked right by a genuine artifact at one time or another.no offense meant.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio

ohioaxeman said:
we are all beginners at some point, and believe me, i have a rock garden full of stuff i just cant throw away. good luck :thumbsup:
ohioaxeman is correct, we are all beginners at one point.keep at it and you will be haulin them in before you know it.good luck hunting :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Honkey FlintMaster Flash said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
im sure you have walked right by a genuine artifact at one time or another.no offense meant.

None taken, and I am sure you are correct.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I learned the hard way before computers about the places I collect. Most is now on Google. Now with google, say if I was to move to your area I would start research and guarantee in not time you will hit upon a site. Its easy to do.... type in your area or county and state and the word ancient artifacts or indian artifacts. You will be surprised at what will pop up.

I often wonder who coined the word "Indian" and what that means?
Need any help throw out a county or area everyone here "Digs Research".)
Vios con Dios Amigo.
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread