recent ohio field finds

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
havent posted anything in a while,most of this stuff was found the other day at a new spot i just got permission to hunt,most of the area was unhuntable due to corn debris on the ground but there was one field still standing so i got in it and found a few things,but a few of the finds were from back in early october.goodluck hunting.
Picture007.jpg

real nice scraper and point
Picture008.jpg

scrapers,flake blades,misc tools
Picture009.jpg

a heartbreaker,OUCH!!
Picture010.jpg

mostly brokes from thursdays hunt

Picture012.jpg

misc from october at a different site

Picture011.jpg

Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
:icon_thumleft:

The rectangular pieces in the next-to-last picture are especially interesting. Broken bases ? Little square knives ?

From what the edge angle looks like in your pictures, I think the "scraper" in your second and third pictures was more likely a knife. Edge angles that acute wouldn't hold up well in use if they were scraping anything hard or tough with it.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
you could very well be right on what i called a scraper being a knife,it has pretty nice edge work on 3 edges,its stacked on the side facing in the pic,and flat on the side out of view,possibly may have been used as a combination tool for chopping and cutting,it does have some heavy use wear on one side.the rectangular pieces are broken bases from what i assumed were knives, all pretty thin and have pretty nice flaking on most of them,i will get better pic up of them.the black base piece on the far left of that same pic is what i believe to be the base of an agate basin/ohio lance,you will be able to tell when i get a better pic up.have it soon.thx for the input uni :thumbsup:

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Sweet! never get tired of looking at that colorful ridge. Killer little side notch, really good piece. Loving all the tools and bladelets too, nice haul Greg.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thx 37,this new spot is goin to be killer.like i said in picks post, once these fields get plowed,500 acres atleast there will be some great hunting.talked to the farmer and he said he will be tillin up the ground soon,after that all we will need is some rain.so have that bag packed ready to go. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Here you go uniface,took some pics.first 3 pics are of different angles of my scraper/your knife lol.4th pic is of what i am guesstimating is the base of an agate basin/ohio lance.And the 5th pic is of the rectangular pieces.The rectangular pieces were all found on the same hump in this new field.If you look at Pickaways 11-5-09 post I think he found a couple similar pieces on that same hump when we were huntn thursday.after i looked at these pics i just realized i slipped in a piece that has a slight shoulder on it,the black piece in 5th pic,oops. that may be the base of a stemmed lance?and now that I think of it pickaway found two broken stemmed lances I think.i will have to go check out his post.
DSCF2529.jpg

DSCF2530.jpg

DSCF2531.jpg

DSCF2532.jpg

DSCF2533.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff. It will spoil ya.Good luck on the 500 acs. Look forward to your finds.
TnMtns

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Your unshouldered black base looks like it well could be an Agate Basin. Unless it was subsequently reused (?) I'd look for the base and sides to be fairly heavily ground.

It's also possible that the scraper/knife is a core. Edge smoothing, if so, would be for a better "bite" when pressure flaking. Hard to say. Nice stuff, at any rate.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
uniface said:
Your unshouldered black base looks like it well could be an Agate Basin. Unless it was subsequently reused (?) I'd look for the base and sides to be fairly heavily ground.

It's also possible that the scraper/knife is a core. Edge smoothing, if so, would be for a better "bite" when pressure flaking. Hard to say. Nice stuff, at any rate.
thx for all the comments fellas,hey uni,the maybe agate basin is heavily ground on the sides and base.and after chatn about the scraper/knife i really got to lookin at it and i did consider that it could be a core,it does have the typical blade strike offs,and has the platform that good flintridge cores are known for.so who knows? :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread