NW Wisconsin point find

ducktrapper

Nov 24, 2009
NW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 with 10" coil, Garrett Pro-pointer.
Found this in my cornfield in extreme NW Wisconsin while looking for coyote sign. I know next to nothing about these, so looking for clues as to what it was (too large to be an arrow-head?), what group might have produced it and how old it might be. It was my first find, I flicked at the odd-looking stone and when it was exposed, my knees just about buckled. I felt I was likely holding something that had last been touched by a native that trod this land generations (maybe longer?) ago.

Attachments

• 00807 Arrowhead Mike found Nov. 2006 in our field.jpg
    00807 Arrowhead Mike found Nov. 2006 in our field.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 0

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
Hello,
Looks like a Stueben expanded stem point made out of some kind of chert. Maybe Chocrane chert. 1500 to 1700 years old and usually not found that far north. I got this information from a book called " A projectile point guide for the upper mississippi river valley" by Robert F. Boszhardt. Just my opionion though. By the way I'm from Black River Falls.

Sidevalve

OP
OP
D

ducktrapper

Nov 24, 2009
NW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 with 10" coil, Garrett Pro-pointer.
Thanks Sidevalve, I would have no clue where to begin. As someone just getting started without a mentor, this can be a confusing topic. And that figures, with stone tools being produced by most every group that lived all over the earth for way longer than "civilization" has been around, there is alot to learn.

This point was found in Grantsburg, WI.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man.... that is a great find no matter what it is!! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: Thanks for sharing and good luck in the never ending hunt :wink:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
It certainly does something to you when you find a nice one like that.

Time stands still and you're in some other place for a moment :laughing7:

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
ducktrapper said:
Found this in my cornfield in extreme NW Wisconsin while looking for coyote sign. I know next to nothing about these, so looking for clues as to what it was (too large to be an arrow-head?), what group might have produced it and how old it might be. It was my first find, I flicked at the odd-looking stone and when it was exposed, my knees just about buckled. I felt I was likely holding something that had last been touched by a native that trod this land generations (maybe longer?) ago.

So long there was lost lineage.
Newt

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great history there. Neat feeling to be the first person in thousands of years to pick up and appreciate the craft of long ago. Thanks for sharing.Hope you find buckets full.
TnMtns

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Nice point. I like Wisconsin stuff since my family is from there. The Indian (Sauk) side of the family has ben traced back 400 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread