Finally a point and a neat tool? Or am I making it a point to be a tool....

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
quick cliff's notes:
Young niece and nephew say they find "arrowheads" on my bro-in-law and sister's farm in west Georgia...the area was a center of native habitation and commerce until Chief Macintosh (sp?) sold his land and po'd his own people who thanked him by murdering him..(forgive the rather loose history interpretation)

Also found out there are old home foundations on the property..went to check all out today to burn some calorturkies....

The "point" DOES look like one..but I'm a "newb" and I fail everytime I post something here (violin..smallest..play?)..and maybe it's the "notch" but it really is nice looking close up and you can almost see through it when holding it up...

The "rock" seems like it HAS to be a tool of sorts...it fits perfectly in the hand with a spot that fits the thumb PERFECTLY..as well as a completely flat end as if to smash things or flatten something...
then again..I could just have found yet another geo-fact...

the other 2 (quartz as well I believe) were found in the same vicinity of the "point" ...looked like something enough to pick up, take a pick on the bberry and post here...dim your screen or fold your laptop screen back and look closely..anyone see a face on the left one in the last pic hahahaa>>too many adhd meds today..sorry

thanks for your time...

Attachments

• 00point1.jpg
    00point1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 358
  • 00point2.jpg
    00point2.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 371
  • 00tool1.jpg
    00tool1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 370
  • 00tool3.jpg
    00tool3.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 00tool4.jpg
    00tool4.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 00tool5.jpg
    00tool5.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 369
  • 00tool6.jpg
    00tool6.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 366
  • 00point3.jpg
    00point3.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 00point4.jpg
    00point4.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like somebody was chipping vein quartz there. And either using it or the chips they were taking from it -- otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Thanksgiving !
Nice way to burn the turkey off. Intersting history. Murder back then seemed to hold more significance than todays common affair.Nobody remembers yesterdays murder anymore.

The first piece in my opinion could have been being shaped into a tool. The large item may be natural you may never know with out some type of use marks. The quartz rocks are what they liked ? The last on the left.... I am going to take some medications and come back to it :laughing7:
Good Thanksgiving day post and welcome to artifacts. You are on the right track with the shapes and materials.The site sounds like a good one and would warrant further deeper exploration.
HH
TnMountains

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
uniface said:
Looks like somebody was chipping vein quartz there. And either using it or the chips they were taking from it -- otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.

correct..lots of large quartz stones and lots of chipped and 'shaped' as well

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
Those are some fine examples of some quarts rocks, most likely used by the indians as "rocks". Followed by another fine example of a larger "rock".

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all_atv said:
Those are some fine examples of some quarts rocks, most likely used by the indians as "rocks". Followed by another fine example of a larger "rock".

::)

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sugar quartz (pic 3) is far too brittle to have been used for some tools (axes), it just comes apart, into grains. But, it is possible pic 3 could have been used as a hoe. It all depends what context it was found.
I have found buckets of all types of quartz, unless you are actually finding lots of points/blades, I would say they are just rocks. Its flakes you need to be looking out for, where they knapped their quartz points/blades etc..
Good luck hunting..

Molly.

OP
OP
CheathamHill

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009
Molly said:
The sugar quartz (pic 3) is far too brittle to have been used for some tools (axes), it just comes apart, into grains. But, it is possible pic 3 could have been used as a hoe. It all depends what context it was found.
I have found buckets of all types of quartz, unless you are actually finding lots of points/blades, I would say they are just rocks. Its flakes you need to be looking out for, where they knapped their quartz points/blades etc..
Good luck hunting..

Molly.

Thanks for the detailed answer for sure...there is flaking all over this area of the property...and in this one general location are many large quartz rocks....

How recent has quartz been used on farmland for various things?

It could be that these just 'chipped' off when moving all the quartz rocks into piles on the property and the shape is just a coincidence....

As far as the larger rock..that is "sugar quartz"? Neat...it just seems to perfectly shaped, flattened and "layered" to have broken off like that..especially when holding it in the hand instead of seeing it in blackberry camera phone pictures...

Thank you for your help!
Much more useful to a "newbie" in the hobby than a smart*** comment like "the indians used those as rocks...." those types of comments can turn people off from here just as soon as they join...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread