Made my YEAR:) :) :) woooooha!!! when i found "Día Negro" UPDATE

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Made my YEAR:) :) :) woooooha!!! when i found "Día Negro" UPDATE

k, :laughing9:, so last night im with some family memembers just relaxing and whe i go to sleep i have a dream of me finding some exotic cerimonial pieces, very finley worked. so when i wake up i mess around online, and decide shoot, i might as well go out. so i pick a spot i been eyeballin 4 some time now, and for about 2 hours nothing, some chips is all. it gets dark here early so im bummed out, beeen having a rough few months, so i start heading back . and low and behold just laying there, this amazing piece..... i was like OMG, lol, yessssssssssssssssss. my camera is broke so i used a friends , these are the best pics i could come up with for now. also, i have never in my life picked up such a nice perfected piece. the base is lightly ground, has such delicate but perfect shoulders, the serrations are nice and get micro towards the needle tip,seems to have been resharpened, it has collateral flaking , median ridged, "looks like a diamond when looking straight down it" exactly 3 1/2 inchs long. all in all its awwwwwwwww :)
Im going with Firstview on this one, maybe a Eden, both pretty rare in this area, my BEST PIECE PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOP WHOOP

Some history on this point : being Eden/Firstview, it comes from the Scottsbluff cluster=Scottsbluff, Cody,Eden,Firstview. These paleoindian people would have probaly been following big game, such as extinct bison. Some of the best information has come from bison kill sites where these tools were recovered. This particular point has all of the characteristics of a Eden/Firstview. Probaly was used as a spear or flung from a atlatl http://www.onagocag.com/atlatl.html. My personal opinion this projectile would have suporior penetrating power, size, weight thickness, it would be the perfect tool for bringing down big game. Here is a little writing on the Eden published by Noel d. Justice that i found very accurate and informative to this projectile.
" The Eden points some of the most controlled and best executed flitnapping of all paleoindian projectile point types. All edges are closely aligned and near perfect symmetry is observed on every part of the typical Eden point. Wormington's description noted resemblance to Scottsbluff but focused on traits such as a narrower blade width relative to length, parallel pressure flaking , smaller shoulders, pronounced median ridge, and a diamond shaped cross section. The shoulder/haft juncture may be marked only by the termination of laterial grinding and a very slight edge in contour. The fine pressure flaking and diamond-shaped cross section are the most prominate traits that seperate Eden from Scottsbluff. The haft element was produces with fine pressure retouch and the basal edge flaking often produces a triangular flaking pattern emanating from the basal margins to the midline. ( see in photos) .
Now why the base is clipped how it is i have no idea, but i still believe it was intentional.

One more thing, a good friend called me and told me this morning, you did not find that point , it found you.... Being at my lowest point in my life , and thinking there is no way out or back up, God/Someone knows my love of archaeology and i was brought to it. This piece represents a moment in my life when i thought i would never get up, after finding this, i know there are good things out there and hope is still possible. In all honesty i believe this is going to be a turning point for the better in my life:) I was supposed to start school for archi this semester, but some very dramatic changes in my life has forced me to put school on hold. I read and study as much as i can on my free time of the subject, its absolutly amazing.

If anyone has any other info they would like to cover on the point type/history, feel free to fill me/us in. Thanks
Chong

Attachments

• zfirst1.jpg
    zfirst1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 5,637
  • zfirst2.jpg
    zfirst2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 5,646
  • zfirst3.jpg
    zfirst3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 5,588
  • zfirst5.jpg
    zfirst5.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 5,588
  • zfirst7.jpg
    zfirst7.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 5,528
Upvote 0

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Re: Made my YEAR:) :) :) woooooha!!! when i found "día negro"

That's breathtaking! :icon_thumleft: Congrats on the banner, it deserves it. Wow, that's just perfect! I haVE TO LOOK AGAIN.

NG

goldnow

Apr 10, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

You have found magic. Just magnificent...Congrats.

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC

It's too cold to do much hunting here unless it's for a whitetail.
Outstanding piece, congrats on the banner!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stellar find! Congrats on the find and the banner! Many of my best finds were made at the point of giving up and walking back to the car! Well done!

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

That is a super find, perhaps the nicest piece of flint ever posted on this board. Interesting how the base corners are clipped. Is there grinding on the base or sides? Probably Edwards Plateau Flint?

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,

Thats about the sweetest point i have seen. Man when things look bleek look down and something will be found. Banner fo shur!!
Take care and I hope more good things for you. JYD... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)

Thanks for the banner guys :) the corners, in all honestly seem clipped on purpose, when holding you can see they were both hit from the same side and not just random. there is grinding on the base all the way up to the tiny shoulders, and i dunno if you can tell from the pictures, but the base has been thinned. the material im still not sure of, when held to light the edges are translucent and you can see tiny specks inside , ill try to get some more detailed pictures up soon as possible, the pics last night were last min and rushed, i apologise 4 that.

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GREAT FIND CHONG !!!!!!! I just got home , Sorry i didn't get a chance to hunt with you. " cutting trees and shopping ". That is a great artifact , Remember what we talked about , That point found you !! Good things happen to good people !! I can't wait to see it in person. It made your year finding it, and it made my day just knowing you have found a very nice artifact !! GREAT JOB !!!! Bill

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

Outstanding piece.. :o Fantastic........ :hello2:

P

pickaway

Killer find Congrats...

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il

congrats to you.
that is a killer piece! :thumbsup:

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008

Congrats,, Very Very nice! :headbang:

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the banner Chong!
What a magnificent piece!
~sandcreek~

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Really great find! I don't get out much anymore but finds like that inspire me.

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

Chong II , Great find and a well deserved banner , :icon_thumright: !! But now that your “Treasure” is up on the Banner , people from many other countries and/or interest will be reading about it . Many will see and appreciate this artifact just on it’s beautiful form , and superb flaking , obviously made by a master of his craft ! But many won’t have the knowledge of how it was used , when it was used , etc. ..
It has been suggested to other banner recipient’s coming from the A.I.A. forum to add a little “background”/ history to go along with there Native American Artifact . As Native American Artifact collecting is but a narrow band in the full spectrum of thing’s . And I believe this would be good practice for most other artifact’s found on the banner .

Sooo , just think’n maybe you could add a bit “Background” here for us ,..,.Anyway GREAT find there ,....Blindpig

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey
I just saw you on the Banner ! Congratulations Chong. Way to go. That is a great find. Its perfect.
You won the lucky dog that day. So how rare is this item? Tell us more :hello:
Congratulations again
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread