Flint Bird-opinions wanted

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
I'm posting for a friend of mine.
He recently came into possession of a collection of points/knives.
They were found in Tennessee. They all appeared authentic.
They were traded to him by their finder who is now a 17 year old.
Among the points and made out of very similiar flint was a flint "bird".
The boy said he had found it personally in the field with the others.
My personal feeling is that it is not an authentic piece. I feel that it is a
modern fantasy piece.How it ended up in the field is open to speculation.
He wanted me to post it to get other opinions.
---You've heard mine,what are yours?
eagle 008 (824 x 618).jpg
eagle 009 (824 x 618).jpg
eagle 010 (824 x 618).jpg

Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I've read that over 90% of flint effigies are repros. That piece has a pretty convincing patina, but, there's only so much you can tell from a picture.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material looks right for the area. The shape reminds me of the colonial style or Civil war style Eagle. Anything is possible. In the Dallas period they made many such items. Have never found anything like that myself. Maybe some one more knowledgable or an authenticator will chime in. Cool I hope its real. Keep us up to date.
HH
TnMountains

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
thirty7 said:
I've read that over 90% of flint effigies are repros. That piece has a pretty convincing patina, but, there's only so much you can tell from a picture.

I can only agree. I've never seen one before(firsthand).

Newt

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hate saying this without a picture, but I have seen one and held it in my hand. And all about 2 hours after it was dug. A brother of one of my best friends found it and brought it by. It wasnt as large as the one above but there is no doubt they made them. It was found in south central Arkansas...d2

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
they have been found and authenticated, the ones that I have seen in tx. are about 75% repros tho...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth having it looked at by a pro. I think it looks good but that does not mean anything now days. :thumbsup:

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i have seen personally 3 like that so far, the ones from the desert area i noticed all have had a much thicker neck and head, but yess 100% send it to get checked out, at least 4 its next owner

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just my opinion, but in my 44 years of hunting I have yet to see one of these items that was actually an ancient piece and not a modern reproduction. These novelty items have been made for a very long time, probably for as long as people have collected artifacts, and it would be possible for one made a hundred or so years ago to be lost in a field and then found again hence giving it some patina. Until one is found "in situ" with a grave or in a dig I will never believe they are an ancient artifact.

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I have never known any of the "eagle effigies" to be anything but modern made. A local sportsman's club had some knappers come in and make a bunch of them one time. They then salted a tobacco field with them for the kids to find. They had good intentions, but I think they should not have salted the field with them. I'm sure that the kids did not find all of them. Sooner or later someone is going to be hunting that field and will find one. They will of course think that the eagle is authentic since they found it sticking up out of the dirt in the tobacco field. It drives me nuts when I hear of someone salting a field, even if it was well-intended. It would be really cool if it was authentic, but it is doubtful.

Good luck hunting!

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
cool little piece.the patina looks good but i dont know if that is the foggy pic playin tricks or just a good fake patina job or beer.i know the pro fakers have all kinds of tricks up their sleeves these days.i believe someone here on tnet has found an animal effigy(a bison) made of blue coshocton and i want to say it was bent twig,pretty sure they were from ohio,but I cant remember who it was for sure now??maybe they will chime in?as far as the salting fields and the kid who said he found it,salting is not a good practice to get into and why would this kid lie about finding it?was there cash exchanged?those people who get off on salting need to take an ethics class and get some pills prescribed.i have thrown an authentic arrowhead in the dirt so a kid could find it,but i made sure he found it that huntin trip.goodluck hunting :headbang:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think sometimes the things we believe to be effigies are actually tools. How could this be used? I have seen some modern flaked images of eagles and thunderbirds. Some of those guys are pretty good, too.

Mark Owin

Jun 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two of these found in texas when I was a kid....China Springs....I have had them many years and never could find out anything on them

Red Earth

Jul 29, 2013
Just to be blunt, try taking some better pics.

I've seen one in my life. It was found in north Dakota. The head of yours is very similar to one one I've seen

intensecrasher

Apr 6, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
Ground-penetrating radar...LOL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would send it to someone like Jim Bennett for a professional opinion. It will cost you around $30.00 but you will get a trusted opinion. Like everyone else posted, I have never seen an authentic one....That doesn't mean that they don't exist!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread