Big ol Illinois Thebes

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Big 'ol Illinois Thebes

Hey All,

Just thought I would post a picture of a Thebes point that I picked up on Sunday from a local estate auction. It measures exactly 5" long x about 2 3/4" wide and made of Avon chert found in Henry County, Illinois. THere is no modern damage on the piece. The one barb was made that way likely because of a material flaw. Also, like some first stage Thebes points, the tip is actually rounded and highly use polished. I have seen other Thebes in this condition and they usually show very little resharpening leaving us to believe some first stage forms were made with rounded tips. I wish I could get a better pic of the use polish but it's as evident on any point that I have seen. Makes this piece a little more interesting I guess.

Thanks for the look, :D
Hippy

001.jpg

002.jpg

Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Re: Big 'ol Illinois Thebes

That's a great Thebes. I'm glad you identified the material because it's always been a mystery to me. I've got two much smaller Thebes made of the same stuff. Nice addition.

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
Re: Big 'ol Illinois Thebes

Good Looking Point those big unsharpened Archaic points are rare things. I always like big Thebes but you just don't seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread