Its been yrs... + in-situ 12-26-09

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
It's been yr's... + in-situ 12-26-09

Well, well ,... apparently the O’ adage “Even a O’ Blindpig will find an acorn ,. Every now and then” , holds true .......
DSC03387.jpgrs.jpg
My first in-situ pic with my digital camera ,.. here in Cali

About 6 months ago , an O’buddy and I got together and started talk’n about the “good O’ days” point hunt’n , fishing , hunting, etc... Anyway , he told me how the area of the “Ranch” where we did a bunch of point hunt’n had burnt off the previous year , and he had gone down there once since the fire and found about seven broken pionts ,.. And we needed to do a trip down there .....
So , today was the day ,.. I hadn’t been down there in at lest 10 maybe 15 years ?? And I’m sure , its been a good 10 years since I’ve done a planed point hunt here in California , now I’ll find a point by accident every now and then ,... and I will go point hunt’n when I’m back in Iowa ,.... but I’m just running out of Grandparents back there !!
My wife packed a nice lunch , she was looking forward to this hunt as well ,... and the girls [11&14] they were game ,.. This was there first hunt of this type . They did good , picked up some pottery shards & poked at a few “interesting” things ,took some pic’s with there new camera . They must have been having a good time ,... as it was well over an hour before the 14 yr old even realized that she had “4bars” and could text ,.. And the 11 yr old , why she didn’t even ask about getting home until we where in the truck !!... ;D
DSC03377.jpgrs.jpg

A pic of some of my buddys artifacts

It was a short trip , maybe all of 2 ½ hr’s there , .... while taking lunch , I took some pic’s of some stuff my buddy has found on the ranch ,.... I’ll do a much more detailed photo shoot of his collection ,...soon I hope !!
All in all ,... a good lit’ hunt ,everyone found “something”,... I got my in-situ pic.... :icon_thumleft:
Hope to do it soon again !!!!
Blindpig

Upvote 0
P

pickaway

Re: It's been yr's... + in-situ 12-26-09

Way to go, great find and insitu, Congrats...

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like a good time and congrats on finding that nice point! Cali sounds nice to me right about now... Never been there, but I've heard that the weather is nice :icon_sunny:. I would imagine it could get pretty chilly in the mountains though.

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

Hay Run.... Errr ,.,.Coteau .. Yes , we really do have nice weather out here in Cali ,. But it seems that one needs to be from somewhere else to really appreciate it though ?? And are Mtn’s ,... well been spending some time [working] up there , I’m sure they arn’t North Dakota cold, as we get some of that Cali :icon_sunny: , in the day which melts the snow that turns to ICE at night ,...need to pay attention [many do not!!] too the roads in the morning,.... the ditches along these Mnt roads are waaaaay deeper then the Rd ditches found in N.D. !!
Thanks for nice comments on the point Pickaway & Coteau , really liked getting that insitu pic , .. Would love to be able to “catch” that feel’n ,..when you first see a nice point , then uncork it with a few friends .

DSC03391.jpgdaystake.jpg

All though this was the only whole point found on this trip , several broke’s were found [4-5?] my wife found a parcel abalone shell pendent [top Rt] pic , some obsidian was found , not to common where we look ?? Note; I’ve used this tobacco tin for years to hold my finds , never lost a needle tip ,. And the fragile shall artifacts fare a lot better then in a pocket...
Blindpig

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alright Blindpig.Way to go on a family adventure !!! Looks like you guys did good.Its fun getting back into it after a while.I know how that is. Glad everyone found something and congratulations on your first un corking insitu.I like that analogy and am going to borrow it! Good picture.Bet you were as excited as kid getting that pic. Always enjoy your comments and post !!!!
HH
TnMtns

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il

Sounds fun.
Don't wait so long next time.

OP
OP
blindpig

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?

Well SoIll,.. I do believe I’m going use your advice there ,...soon ,.. Real soon ,..... ;D
The fire that went through[?1 ½ -2 yr ?] exposed many more terraces along the creek for us to hunt . Year’s ago these terraces were covered with brush that was 10 ft tall and thick!! It’s nothing more then a dead pile of sticks,.. that even if you managed to crawl through the 4 in. Mat of ground cover pretty much covers- up any point’s . This may sound odd ,.. But this is very unnatural , brush that is left unburnt for 20-40 yr’s can leave nothing but sterilized soil after a fire goes through .

dscoo3388rs640x480.jpg

The area we hunted Saturday , has already started to recover , with weeds and a sprig of bush here and there .

TnMnt’s ,... Yes,... Tis’ good getting back into it ,.... :icon_thumright: But I must say , My eye’s arn’t what they use to be ,..... Started out upright ,...but the ground was a bit far ,.. Tried hunched over ,...just to hard on the back ,.. Started knuckle-walk’n ,.. This seemed just right ,... but maybe considered a bit of a evolutionary set back .... ;D
Thanks ,...Joel

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just flip it all joel and kick it around and if it warrants picking up go for it. That sure is a nice point you found. I found one kinda like it last year in the river. I never considered the fires. I guess the natives kept it burned down. And please enjoy the weather :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread