Found some obsidian points in the closet need some info.

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
My grandparents found these in a closet and gave to me, they couldn't remember where they got them. My grandpa thought black hills maybe. They traveled alot and bought souviners everywhere. But my dad thought they were with some things they bought at an auction. Anyway they are worked obsidian and another type of black material, not as shiny and glassy as obsidian. I'm thinking (and hoping) they are real. These are the ones that are worked on both sides, theres tripple this amount in one sided flakes and stuff in the basket.
The 2 at the top are worked all the way around on both sides so they're complete I think. But one is round and the other is an off shape, maybe special tools someone recognizes.

Thanks for any input or pics of similar stuff. Also what is the other material besides the obsidian?

Attachments

• ryan 001.jpg
    ryan 001.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 626
  • ryan 004.jpg
    ryan 004.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 555
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right not all obsidian. Not sure what that other material is. Some looks a little touristy (sp) some looks pretty good. So hard to tell from a puter screen :icon_scratch:

stansknives

Dec 10, 2009
Slapout,Alabama
I would have to say as an artifact collector AND flintknapper, that all of these are REAL. The other stone that is not Obsidian, is Basalt, and a pretty good grade at that. Ive knapped lots of it. Stan

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
I agree with Stan. I've gathered some very high grade basalt near Ash Fork, AZ that appears identical. It was found in an area where we gathered obsidian.

~Mike

stansknives

Dec 10, 2009
Slapout,Alabama
Mike, you are dead on right! I have a friend who was in the Air force in AZ. He was from my state of Alabama, and brought me a five gallon bucket of "High Grade" Basalt from out there while on leave. GREAT friend. Stan

stansknives

Dec 10, 2009
Slapout,Alabama
Mike, what a small world!!! Yes, his name is Barry Hester. I talked to him yesterday on Yahoo messenger. He is from Selma AL, and I am from Mont., AL. Stan

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
Yep! Small world indeed!! Tell him next time he's down that if he doesn't come to Fort White and visit that Judy will hunt him down and whup the tar outta him.. LOL

~Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread