bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Howdy artifact hounds.

Sure have missed you all.

I have been unable to hunt for some time. Still waiting for the waters to recede 'round here.

finally got to look thru my favorite part of this forum...Indian Artifacts and just had to post something. So here you go....

a couple of items found in my Dad-in-laws collection. Don't know if authentic or not. You may be the judges and I hope you can give me some opinions. (I'm sure that will not be a problem. :laughing7:)

DSC00705.jpg

the next two I believe have to be someone's fantasy pieces, but again...opinions???

DSC00702.jpg

Would hate to get hit with an arrow tipped with either of these. Talk about pain!!! Yeoowch!

It feels good to come out of hibernation. Now I know how a bear must feel. :wink:

Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Good to see you again Bravo. Interesting artifacts, The top piece in the first pic is called a Vendetta,(I was reading about them in overstreet ) made to break off in target on impact. They're a rare point type. The bottom eccentrics look like some mayan designs I've seen but also like you said some fantasy knapping. jmo

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Not an expert but they all look like modern knapper's fantasy pieces to me. I bet it's fun to make stuff and see how ceative you can get. :dontknow: :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

One thing....of many...that I need to learn about this hobby is how points are made. It would really enhance the whole experience for me and would help me identify my finds.

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
thirty7 said:
Good to see you again Bravo. Interesting artifacts, The top piece in the first pic is called a Vendetta,(I was reading about them in overstreet ) made to break off in target on impact. They're a rare point type. Can't help you on the rest, way out of my area.

So there ya go!! I hadn't even typed my response and someone had already shown me to be wrong. I never noticed those in my Overstreet....wish I had it at work with me tonight so I could check em out!! :icon_thumright:

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
archer66 said:
thirty7 said:
Good to see you again Bravo. Interesting artifacts, The top piece in the first pic is called a Vendetta,(I was reading about them in overstreet ) made to break off in target on impact. They're a rare point type. Can't help you on the rest, way out of my area.

So there ya go!! I hadn't even typed my response and someone had already shown me to be wrong. I never noticed those in my Overstreet....wish I had it at work with me tonight so I could check em out!! :icon_thumright:

give me a couple minutes I'll have a page up shortly...

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Thanks for the pics 37. I had no idea. But like the wife says, I haven't a clue. :laughing9:
The Vendetta must have been the flint age equivalent of todays hollow point. :laughing7:
Wicked nasty.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i have always been amused by these points, its awesome someone may have a real one!!! way to go!!!!

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
All of those pieces appear to be very spurious from the pics. Even the "Vendetta looking" point looks awful suspicious to me. Generally they are much better made with fine pressure flaking, and out of materials indigenous to that area. None of those look authentic to me.

Those pieces may have been made from authentic artifacts, just rechipped. See the steep edge retouch around the parameter? Notice how the flaking appears to differ from the mid-section (blade) of the pieces, and the edges? Often, that's an indicator that they have been tampered with. Most small arrow points are flaked, as well as resharpened, to the center of the blade area.

The bottom two pieces look like something Mack Tussinger would do.

sanford66

Dec 29, 2009
Everest, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You have a rare find there! I have never seen one of those before and i look thru overstreet's about every other day :icon_thumleft:! Joseph

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Appreciate the opinions guys. I was somewhat skeptical of the Vendetta, don't know about the other, but the bottom two both appeared to be something made for show and tell. Still they are nice to look at. And much skill was required regardless of the artisan or when produced.
The 'facts I personally have found, are the only pieces I would ever bet a testical on. :laughing9:

BW

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
Appreciate the opinions guys. I was somewhat skeptical of the Vendetta, don't know about the other, but the bottom two both appeared to be something made for show and tell. Still they are nice to look at. And much skill was required regardless of the artisan or when produced.
The 'facts I personally have found, are the only pieces I would ever bet a testical on. :laughing9:

BW

Ok Lets not bet something we might regret !!!!!!!!!! Even if I lost that bet I would dare anyone trying to collect :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions