Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
Upvote 0

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
I like to leave mine as it was found . I seem to walk away from restored stuff just cause I dont know what they or someone else has done to it without a lot of research . But it is pretty much to each his own.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had Gomer restore this one and I've never regretted it. I would much rather have it in the condition it's in now than have a broken point. If anybody asks I tell them it's restored and which pieces have been restored.

08-121.jpg

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
I won't ever have one restored. I enjoy imagining what the point might have looked like whole and how it got broken. To me having a point restored isn't much different than having a modern replica made.

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
I've had a few pieces restored over the years and there are certain pieces that I would have restored with out questoins. I've included a pictures of some big blades and maces. There is small one on the far right has about 2 inches of the handle restored and the third left was found broke into 3 pieces and there is a small piece about the size of a dime missing and it was restored. These pieces are so rare that a little restoratoin just gives them back there original beauty. I wouldn't hesitate having a piece restored if it deserves it.

Attachments

• Historic artifacts 020.JPG
    Historic artifacts 020.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 355
OP
OP
chong2

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
thanks 4 the advice evryone. nice point srv, and mooch those are kick butt!!! what period are the most o those from? seriously killer museum artifacts!!!!

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
If someone wants to restore a point, I would recommend it as long as they were adding to the piece and not chipping anything away. You would still have the complete artifact as found because you can always remove a good restoration.

As far as value? Hah...... I traded 2 restored points for a complete 2 5/8 inch Calf Creek that is probably G-9 or so........ see

DSCN2059.jpg

The next points are a very minimal restorations I am very happy I did.

DSCN1097.jpg

DSCN1101.jpg

SoIll

Oct 6, 2008
Il
That would be an easy trade to make quito.

Mooch :notworthy:
What can I say?
Please start another tread with those

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Restoration rarely adds any value to an artifact because it tends to have a bit of a stigma to it. Like Mooch said, there are some arifacts that are definitely worth restoring because of rarity, size, or otherwise but it probably won't make their value increase for the most part. I find that if an artifact of nice quality is damaged a little it will sell better than the same piece that has been restored. When people hear "restoration" it's hard for them to visuallize, even if it's only a small nick or ding, and they get spooked a bit. If it's a small amount of damage I would say you don't even want to have it restored from a value standpoint. If you want it restored the aesthetics it's probably worth doing. However, I wouldn't say restore it to make it more valuable because it most likely wont be.

Hippy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my own personal opinion, but I would never have any piece restored, other then glued back together.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
"When people hear "restoration" it's hard for them to visuallize, even if it's only a small nick or ding, and they get spooked a bit."

That's why I like the way Gomer provides the before and after pics. You know exactly what was done.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I've had several pieces restored, but I avoid it on my person finds just because I'm cool with seeing them as found.

One of the points I had restored was a rechipped Clovis that I picked up at a farm auction, it was a great point but just hurt to look at because of the rechip. I also restored a wing bannerstone that someone had taken a file to with the idea of making one of the wings pointy again. I bought a small cache of turkey tails that had been killed, I had several restored because wedges of material were missing. I left the replacement material black, which was cool looking because you could tell what was restored and what was original.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread